Woowho! Newbies

txdds

Hi,
I'm new to the Heartland owners forum and new to 5thers. We visited the Sacramento RV show and purchased a 2009 Big Country 3500RL. We are so excited! Can't wait to take it out.

jimtoo

Hi afdds,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and the Family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here. These folks can answer almost any question you have about your new toy.

When you do your walk though, PDI, make them show you the operation of everything from opening the door to flushing the black tank. Take notes and check everything, TV, Stereo, all lights, microwave, all appliances, slide operation, and anything else you can think of. If you are not sure about something make them show you again. If something is not right, make sure it is fixed before you take delivery.

I hope you enjoy the forum and if you have a question, just ask away.

Jim M

Two Hands

Congratulations! You will enjoy your new experience. Be sure to heed the above advice to do a thorough pre-delivery inspection. We are staying in the Cal Expo RV Park and considered going to the show, but it was just too hot.

txdds

Yes, it was really hot! Some of the rigs had their air on, but others were like an oven. I'm dropping the truck off tomorrow to have the hitch installed. Taking delivery on Oct. 10th,even though we will be jet lagging from a quick trip to Hawaii. I didn't want to wait a minute longer. :)

I need to find a place close by Vacaville, CA to take it out the first time. I'm thinking a KOA might be an easy pick. Would really like to go somewhere "flat" until I see how the truck pulls.

I've been reading in the Owners forum most of the day and there is some really good information here! Really impressed with Heartland quickly answering questions.

Take care,
Debra
P.S. Jimtoo...give Texas a great big old HOWDY from this misplaced Air Force wife. Native Texan!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Debra, Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family. Enjoy your new Big Country. Since you bought a 2009, you must have bought one off the lot? The 2010's are already on the road. I know you'll love your new rig.

rick_debbie_gallant

Welcome to the gang!!! I would suggest stay in the rig and use it at the place where you bought it for a few days before I even took it on the road. I would try everything out and make certian it works properly. Open and close slides, use the head and shower, dry camp, use the shore power, practice backing, hooking, unhooking, turning, etc... What a concept for an rv dealer. Anyway, see if you can get your dealer to go along with it.

Our first time out I cut the corner to sharp:eek: making a left hand:eek: turn from a two way street onto a two way street and hit the stop sign on the street I was turning unto.:eek::(:eek::( Lucky me I did no real damage, except to my pride:eek:. Did I mention that it was a very very small, itsy, bitsy,small small town? Anyway do some practice turns as well, both of you. Just an idea.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Welcome to the family. We have a Big Country also and just love it. Have lots of fun with your new toy.

Safe Travels, Mike

jbeletti

Debra,

Here's a perfect first trip for you. Go to the Central CA rally in Jackson, Oct 9-11. It's less than 100 miles from home :) That said, I see that the rally is full, but sometimes a site will open up. Seriously, if you are interested in this fun and very informative event, contact Teresa (TessaM) about it. We'd love to meet you.

And if you are up for a longer trip, consider joining the So Cal rally in Buellton, Nov 13-15. It's about 329 miles from home and there are still sites available. Contact Larry (larryheadhunter) about that one.

Have fun.

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Debra
I looked up some campgrounds about 20 miles from Vacaville, CA. I did not see a KOA. Sometimes they can get narrow and hard to park in.. You might try Napa Valley Expo RV in Napa Valley. It gets good review from RV Park Reviews.

As Jim B says go to a rally in your area. Great people and lots of fun. If you hurry you can meet us at our Rally in Spring TX on Oct 15th.

BC

txdds

Wow you guys are so nice. Looks like I didn't just buy an RV ....I got a whole new family. This is so nice.

My husband is actice duty Air Force and it will be hard to Rally until he retires unless it's close by.

I can't believe the timing of the Jackson rally. I know it's sold out, but I don't know if we could have made it in time. Buelton is a great place! We loved going there on weekends when we were stationed at Vandenburg.

DH really wanted this model 3500RL and I'm really nervous about driving. He doesn't drive ...I do.. I'm use to pulling an Alpenlite Aspen 28'. Will take to an empty parking lot and practice a little bit. Our walk through and delivery will include a driving lesson at the CAL EXPO parking lot. I'm worried about the rear end kicking around when turning the corners. Turning onto a one lane street is scaring me.

jbeletti

afdds,

I am no expert but I can give you a couple of driving tips. Others with years more experience will likely chime in too.

The 5th wheel being hitched over the axle versus at the bumper like your Alpenlite travel trailer - will have a different pivot point. Also the length and the axle placement may be different. All of this means that the 5th wheel will not track the tow vehicle in the same way as the travel trailer. So there is a little bit of tail-swing and the tail will not be turning at the same rate as the truck.

So my advice is:

1. When turning right out of a campground, tight parking lot etc., do not hug the right side curb. If you can, have your rig straight and have it over the center line a little. Then, when you pull out, wait until traffic is clear in both directions of travel. Pull straight ahead and cross into the other lane of travel a bit, if safe to do so, then begin cutting the tires to the right. At the same time, watch your mirrors to watch your right side trailer wheels and tail as you move through the turn, then fully into your own lane.

Trust me on the above! With my previous RV, I was all the way right, in my own lane, pulling out of a campground. Thought I was doing well by pulling straight ahead, well out into the road and over the center line. But, because I was too close to the right side of the lane, when I cut the wheels to the right and pulled into my lane of travel, I scraped the entire side of the RV with a stop sign :eek: Fortunately, it buffed out. Except for the scratch all the way across one large window :(

2. You are right about the tail swing. This is due to axle placement. And axle placement is due to balancing the load of the RV to ensure a 20-25% pin weight. Just leave several feet of room on the opposite side you are turning to ensure you don't grab the side of a building or some such with the rear cap.

That you have experience pulling an RV should give you much confidence in this new adventure. Take your time, be smart and be safe.

Jim

Two Hands

The Cal Expo RV Park is located just a very short distance from the show you attended. There are plenty of pull through sites and lots of room to maneuver. It would be a great place to spend the night and get acquainted with your new baby before heading home.

txdds

We just got back from an ADA meeting in Hawaii and are set to pick up our Big Country in the morning. Thanks everyone for all the great help. The dealership will be taking me to the Cal Expo parking lot for some parking and driving help. I don't think we will stay the night at the Cal Expo because we won't have any of our camping stuff. Right now, it's all stored in our garage and guest bedroom. I will be so glad to load it up in the BC (oh no....isn't that a headache pill) I better call it the HBC instead :D.

Wish me luck, I sure don't want a big headache tomorrow.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Become very friendly with your mirrors. Use them religiously. You DO have camper mirrors on your TV, don't you?? Another handy accessory is a set of the personal two-way radios. One in the cab and the other in the hands of your spotter when backing up. Before backing up, get out and scope out the area yourself, then tell the spotter where you want them to direct you to. If in doubt, get out and take another look.

plumberdude

congrats,
my wife and i did the samething sat. proud owners of 3914. they are going over and in a few weeks on the road we go. good luck
i know we see you on the road someday

reverts

Hi afdds,

Congrats on the new purchase. We have had ours (our 1st.) for a little over a year now and we love it. We also really like this forum, great people and great information. Regarding a park close to Vacaville, there are 2 in Vacaville both on Midway Road, they are Midway Rv Park and Vineyard Rv Park. Also TAFB has a RV Park. Good luck and happy RVing.:)

Robin

scotty

Wow you guys are so nice. Looks like I didn't just buy an RV ....I got a whole new family. This is so nice.

My husband is actice duty Air Force and it will be hard to Rally until he retires unless it's close by.

I can't believe the timing of the Jackson rally. I know it's sold out, but I don't know if we could have made it in time. Buelton is a great place! We loved going there on weekends when we were stationed at Vandenburg.

DH really wanted this model 3500RL and I'm really nervous about driving. He doesn't drive ...I do.. I'm use to pulling an Alpenlite Aspen 28'. Will take to an empty parking lot and practice a little bit. Our walk through and delivery will include a driving lesson at the CAL EXPO parking lot. I'm worried about the rear end kicking around when turning the corners. Turning onto a one lane street is scaring me.

:) Another welcome to the Heartland family. We recently bought a 06 Big Horn 37 foot long. This is the 6th RV we,ve owned and the largest. It also is the easiest that I've pulled. Heartland quality is right at the top compared to all others as far as I'm concerned. You'll love it.:angel: