Smell while dumping...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't normally have any sewer odor in the BH during normal use.

When I dump I get a real strong smell inside the trailer. The odor goes away shortly. I don't see any leaks. I have the screw in adapter on the sewer pipe and hose has no openings up to the sewer pipe on the trailer.

Does anyone have a similar problem??

Of course I do not leave any of the sewer gates open for any of the tanks while in the campground.

BC

Netem

Bob, maybe you have been eating too much Mexican food. The only time I have noticed an oder is if I flush the toilet after I dump and didn't use the black water flush.

2010augusta

Bob I get no odors in the trailer while dumping, but I use the tank flusher during the entire dumping process.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Check under the lavatory, on mine they had a black pvc vent plug which acts as a vent for the lava. Drain. Wife was complaining about the odor every time she opened the lava. Door, i finally got around to looking and found the vent plug had come out and was laying on the shelf in the cabinet. Screwed it back in and it fixed the problem.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
too, we have had that problem , was vent on roof doing it's job, but front a/c was sucking odor back into rv. We turn off front a/c when dumping, problem solved. God Bless ya, Al W

2010augusta

too, we have had that problem , was vent on roof doing it's job, but front a/c was sucking odor back into rv. We turn off front a/c when dumping, problem solved. God Bless ya, Al W

I believe that A/C recirculates air INSIDE the trailer, no outside air is brought into the trailer.

SmokeyBare

There is a chance that Outside air COULD get into the return air of the A/C unit.

The sewer vents poke through the roof with a small sewer vent cover over top of these pipes. IF the hole coming through the roof is not sealed around the vent pipe... it could be possible that some of the venting gas could be pulled back into the attic area of the RV.

IF the A/C return air section of the unit is not carefully sealed... meaning sealing any crack or gap or hole in and around the return air section of the A/C unit... There is a chance that with the A/C running... it could create a negative pressure in the attic... which would then cause air to be drawn into the attic from any open space... Maybe around the vent pipe...

Just my opinion....

gdog

gdog
We have an 09 3055. I too have found an interesting smell coming from underneath the kitchen sink when we dump the grey. After a little snooping we found what looks to be some sort of vent under the counter a little to the side of the sink. What is that? The smell definitely comes fron there when dumping. I am thinking about the old duct tape sealing system.
gdog

2010augusta

It is a spring load vent for the sink. When working properly it will open when negative pressure is in the drain system. If you seal it up, your sink will drain much slower. Yours might be bad and need replacing.

gdog

gdog
Thanks for the response. How do you know if it is working properly or not? As well, I guess there is no trap below this point to keep out any gasses that could develop.
gdog

SmokeyBare

There is a trap below the sink... the vent which is above the trap... allows air to flow into the drain line as a full load of water is racing toward the gray water tank. If there were no vent... it would empty like a full bottle...tipped on it's side... with no air getting behind the liquid to allow it to drain proper.... GLUG GLUG GLUG....

gdog

gdog
I guess this spring loaded vent must tie into the line below the sink (with the trap) below the cupboards, below the floor?
Of course if the spring is not doing its job the gases from below the trap at the sink would still leak through this device.
gdog

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Lefty...
where you been.. thought someone might have shot you. :rolleyes:.. Hee Hee Hee...:D

Thanks for the info. If I stop breathing will you come give me mouth to mouth.. :confused: If so I think I will keep breathing...

Might be in your country next year.. Stick around and maybe I can find you and buy you a brew...

Travel safe buddy.. and hang around..

Be nice... Hee Hee..

BC