Will my truck be a good match for this RV?

Bob-Mary

JWG

We are considering a 3400rl and we also have a Chevy 2500 cc standard bed. According to specs it looks like the truck may be alittle undersized. Do you feel that the truck is not overloaded, did you have the air bags before the 3400 or did you add them later.

I am ready to order a 3400rl but I am concerned about it being too much for the 2500HD (mine is a 2009 Crew Cab with duramax/allison, 17" E rated tires.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

DMAX154

I have seen people pull trailers that big with the same truck. I would go with the air bags they are great. My Sundance weights about 12000 when we are loaded and I fell that my 05 2500HD long bed does just fine. If you would really like to know acording to the numbers and the legal aspect either call the dealership where you got it or look it up on the net.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob-Mary, Bob above is correct on being at the limit. We have and 07 GMC Classic crew cab, standard bed. Our GCW is 21,725. That is full fuel, 3400RL loaded for travel, wife, cat and myself. I have air bags. I have no problems with this setup. I have seen the same truck pulling bigger rigs. And plenty of em.

Peace
Dave

grizzlygiant

I have a Ram 2500 and towed my 3400RL with it for many thousands of miles without (serious) problems. I always felt I was at or beyond the limit when loaded. I subsiquently traded the BG for a 2800 Sundance and find the new combination 200% better. FWIIW

caokgafamily

We just pulled our 07 3400RL with my 05 250 over 7000 miles thru 17 different states. I have airbags, Having said that my next truck will be a 1 ton. My weight is maxed out and we have had no probs.

JWG

I had the air bags before we purchased the 3400. I got them to level out the load of our old trailer, which did was about 3,000 pound lighter than the 3400... Having said that, my truck seems to be handling the trailer just fine. It actually tows better than our old trailer. The air bags definitely make a difference... I know i am at my pin weight limit, so to provide some additional margin I am considering a tire and wheel upgrade on the truck. You can purchase 19.5 inch rims and commercial grade tires rated at 5,000 pounds each that bolt on out of the box (http://www.ricksontruck.com/). My current Bridgestones (E Rated) have a rating of about 3,200 pounds, so the additional weight rating should provide the additional margin I am looking for... Additionally, I might add the additional leaf spring the 3500 has to up the margin even further... All in all I feel good with the package I have, but the additional margin would provide additional peace of mind...