front landing gear problems

markandrenita

I know this had been posted before but I can't seem to find an answer.

We were camping and when I tried to raise the front landing gear it clicked and then stopped going up, so I hooked up by using the hand crank, which was really tough by the way, and got hitched.

Today I looked for the nut everyone talks about but I couldn't find it.

To get to the gear motor I removed the generator prep tin box. When I pulled the motor off it spun/turned. When I manually turn the bar that raises the legs the raise lower. but when I put the motor back on nothing.

Any ideas?

markandrenita

The motor runs when the extend or retract button is pushed and the bushing that connects with the gear box turns but when I reattach the motor and push the button the motor runs but it doesn't turn.

bill40

I just had the same thing happen to me out here in Ca. I found the nut after i removed everything out of the bin. The bolt was bent a little. I was able to replace and tighten will try to find a SS bolt and lock washer. Should hold up longer.

tmcran

Ok, so the motor runs when not connected to the drive shaft? But when you reinstall the motor it does not run?:confused:

markandrenita

Ok, so the motor runs when not connected to the drive shaft? But when you reinstall the motor it does not run?:confused:

The motor runs after I reconnect it but the bushing doesn't turn when reattached. It does turn when its not attached, maybe its the gearbox that is attached to the motor.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
When you pull your motor off the gearbox you should see a roll pin through the gearbox shaft that drives the gearbox.
If that is intact, take the gear box off. Take out the cross shaft bolt next to the gearbox, slide the cross shaft back. One screw holds the bushing on the output shaft of the gear box. Once the bushing is off the gearbox it can be slid off the dolly leg shaft.
Now you can turn the gearbox shaft by hand and it should turn the D hole in the gearbox that the dolly leg shaft was in. If it doesn't or it is hard to turn or binds the gear box is bad.
If your gear box is plastic, you want to change it anyway to a metal gearbox.
I just changed mine last night.
f250dieseldad told me about the metal gearbox-thanks John

SouthernNights

Thought a few pics would help:
You can see the roll pin the motor shaft slides over:

HPIM1041.jpg

Here is the D hole that fits over the dolly leg shaft

HPIM1042.jpg

geeksrus

I had the same problem. Lippert told me that this component was out of its 1-year warranty & it would costs approximately $275 for a replacement motor/gearbox. Heartland had previously quoted a higher price. I then contacted the motor/gearbox manufacturer & they quoted my $150.

After installing the new unit, looked at the old one which seemed to be okay:confused:.

Eh!

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
Here's what happened to us. Our 3370RL Bighorn is brand new and had only used it 3 times, which meant the landing gear had extended 6 times and retracted 6 times. Only the almighty knows how many times the landing gear had been used after manufacture and delivery date to us.
I know how to operate the gear and never would allow myself to extend or retract the gear to its maximum. I even had marked the gear legs with a red warning stripe for the retract sequence.
The unit was attached to the truck and we wanted to unhitch. Went to extend the landing gear and only heard a clunk, clunk, clunk.
Found the China made "Venture Mfg. Co." jack head plastic body broken.
Was able to purchase a US made "Atwood" jack head made from composit material (part #70177) that is much stronger. Cost me $66.98 Canadian.
Didn't have to modify anything as the new unit fit right on.
Still waiting for response from Heartland re warrenty.
I've attached a couple of pictures. The yellow pencil marks the area that was broken.

Attachments

• Landing gear head 001.jpg
    Landing gear head 001.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Landing gear head 002.jpg
    Landing gear head 002.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Landing gear head 003.jpg
    Landing gear head 003.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 116

SouthernNights

Hey Bob,
Your last picture looks like mine would have in a few days. The corner was just hanging on by a thread so to speak....

HPIM1043.jpg

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had the same problem last year when I was in Northern Nova Scotia. Lippert shipped me the part and paid for the tech to replace the gear.

I think it is strange that you would put a plastic part in such a stressed position as the landing gear. This gear has to lift the entire pin weight and more. I can accept a problem with the appliances and such but not with the landing gear, axles and suspension systems. If they go bad you can't move and safety should be the top priority.

BC

Attachments

• DSC_1934M2.JPG
    DSC_1934M2.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 88

Mariposa

metal gearbox?

so far finding a gearbox, metal, has not been found. Where did that come from? What holds the jacks in place while having the gear box off?
Bob

SouthernNights

I got it from Heartland. The dolly legs are bolted to the trailer. The gear box only slides over a shaft coming out of the leg.
The tabs on the gearbox go on either side of the leg and holds it in place when you use the legs.

Dont worry, your trailer will not fall down when you take off the motor and gear box.

Last edited: