Quad steps

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
After going into a couple of trailers at the rally that had the quad entry steps, I measured the step box and found out they would fit on my B C.

Great. Called Lippert to find out how much they were.

I was informed that they have pulled them off the market for right now. Apparently they can not handle the weight and the steps starting bending down.

The person I talked with did say they have redisgned the steps and will be out shortly.

For those of you who do have the quad step, hopefully Lippert will replace yours if they fail.
New part number is 198583

2010augusta

Good to know, Ours are failing, but I have put threaded jack-stands under the second step to help support the weight on the lower two steps. I guess I will have to contact Lippert to find out when we can get redesigned replacements.

2010augusta

Here are pictures of the damage and me current fix

Attachments

• DSCN8387.JPG
    DSCN8387.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN8386.JPG
    DSCN8386.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN8384.JPG
    DSCN8384.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN8388.JPG
    DSCN8388.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 183

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After going into a couple of trailers at the rally that had the quad entry steps, I measured the step box and found out they would fit on my B C.

I was informed that they have pulled them off the market for right now. Apparently they can not handle the weight and the steps starting bending down.

The person I talked with did say they have redisgned the steps and will be out shortly.

For those of you who do have the quad step, hopefully Lippert will replace yours if they fail.

Will they initiate a full recall and free replacement, or will they wait until you get out of the hospital after they fail?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have the 3 step entry and do as Alan with the jack under the middle step. Mainly because of my size. I would like the steps that have the deeper front to back dimension so I can get more of my foot on the step coming out of the trailer. Right now I almost have to turn my foot to one side when I leave the rig. I need to measure and make a couple phone calls.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well this is good to hear that Lippert is going to fix their design. I was a bit unsure when Heartland went to the quad steps but I felt they were adequate. After having them for a while I decided to get a step support to minimize the flexing. My initial concerns came from seeing quad steps on Open Roads units back when they were in business. They were very flexible and I really did not care for them. I hope this works out for everyone. I too hope noone gets hurt due to step failures.

Mark

2010augusta

Are the current quad steps from Lippert? Mine are not the "radius" or curved design, like Lippert shows on their website, they are just a flat front with round corners? I emailed Lippert and will let you all know the response when I get one.

Bobby A

Thats good to know, I've been conserned about the flex for a while now, thanks for doing the home work.

kkamshop

We have the curved 4 step system on our LM, but noticed they had a different step on the 2010 Grand Canyon we saw at the national rally in Goshen. Ours is a bit too bouncy and the design is rather complicated.

We thought the newer step was this one

http://www.elkharttool.com/quadra.htm

But this looks like the one Alan has that is also failing?

Delaine and Lindy

Quad Step????

Ours were bending on our 2009 Heartland. Our step on the MS are different from them. Ours handle the weight with no problem. Would have to check ours feel different and doesn't flex at all. Would not be without our Quad steps so much more efficent than the tri steps. GBY....

P.S. Just checked our are from Elkhart Tool and Die............

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The steps from Elkhart Tool and Die, are the same 4-step unit that came on our 08' Bighorn...bottom step broke off within the first year. Was replaced by Heartland with a 3 step unit, and we use an auxillary step when needed....

kkamshop

We were going to replace ours with the more solid Elkhart T&D quads, but now I'm just confused!!

The ones on that Grand Canyon just felt rock solid.

2010augusta

I just checked all the stickers and my steps ARE made by Elkhart Tool and Die. SOOOO..... Now I guess I have to contact them or Heartland to see if we can get a replacement. If the T&D step are "solid" I would hate to see what the "weaker" Lippert steps are like. With out the supports my bottom step will flex down over an inch from its current position. Any one else having issues with the T&D steps?

jbeletti

Hi guys,

I have no answers for what the fix is for you - other than to work with our Customer Service Department on any issues you have with your steps.

What I did learn is that new product samples will be ready for us to evaluate in October. It's my hope that whatever we end up with, will be the best we've used yet.

Thanks for flagging this up - we are listening!

Jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I just checked all the stickers and my steps ARE made by Elkhart Tool and Die. SOOOO..... Now I guess I have to contact them or Heartland to see if we can get a replacement. If the T&D step are "solid" I would hate to see what the "weaker" Lippert steps are like. With out the supports my bottom step will flex down over an inch from its current position. Any one else having issues with the T&D steps?

Like I said earlier...ours didn't last a year. The hinge on the bottom step snapped right off...almost fell on my "you know what"!!!

imchud

this is the best 4th step & very safe...

38293n.jpg

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We love our Big Boy steps (3 of them) which came with our Classic Landmark. Solid and large. We use a foldup stool if we need a fourth one.

rick_debbie_gallant

Has anyone lost any skin from their heels when going down the steps? I don't know if my wife and I are just plain clumsy or what but we have both taken chunks out of our heals when going down the steps. Each one of our steps has a rather sharp "lip" that is rolled up from the bottom of each step. Very easy to catch the heel flesh on these and rip the skin right off.:eek: I will attempt to post pictures tomorrow. I may have to just encase them (steps) in rubber on that edge.:(

Oh yeah one other thing, my steps also flex a lot when stepping on them. may have to reinforce them or lose some weight.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Has anyone lost any skin from their heels when going down the steps? I don't know if my wife and I are just plain clumsy or what but we have both taken chunks out of our heals when going down the steps. Each one of our steps has a rather sharp "lip" that is rolled up from the bottom of each step. Very easy to catch the heel flesh on these and rip the skin right off.:eek: I will attempt to post pictures tomorrow. I may have to just encase them (steps) in rubber on that edge.:(

Oh yeah one other thing, my steps also flex a lot when stepping on them. may have to reinforce them or lose some weight.

I have the "wrap-around" step carpet on all 4 of my steps and that solves the sharp edge problem. Also helps keep the dirt on the bottom of your shoes outside where it belongs.

Keith

SmokeyBare

To help reduce the flex of the steps, they make a step stabalizer of different lengths. Photos from Tweetys show them being used on the bottom step or on the second step from the bottom.

Lengths range: 4 inches to 8 inches or the longer 7 inche to 14 inches length.

Link: http://www.tweetys.com/stepstabilizers.aspx

Marv