Need brighter light above Kitchen

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
We have a 09 BH 3670RL it has 2 double bulbed lights above the kitchen area, Wife would like brighter light. We don't boondok, I thought about LED, but they seem to too bright and too white. I was thinking of replacing the light between the sink/stove with a Fluorescent Light, but I'm not sure if wattage.

Any thoughts or Ideas?

2010augusta

The Landmarks have a large twin tube florescence light for every fixture and a 110 volt track light over the kitchen. Might try to add these to the Big Horn.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steve, if you are never going to boondock. Go the Lowes/home depot and get 110V light and wire it in. Is there a 110V plug on any kitchen wall? Pat fusses about it all the time. Im going to a war surplus store and get a army search light an wire it in. That will be some serious light.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have a 09 BH 3670RL it has 2 double bulbed lights above the kitchen area, Wife would like brighter light. We don't boondok, I thought about LED, but they seem to too bright and too white. I was thinking of replacing the light between the sink/stove with a Fluorescent Light, but I'm not sure if wattage.

Any thoughts or Ideas?

We just replace ALL of our 12V-1156 bulbs with 36 LED replacement lights, see here
http://www.virtualvillage.com/36-white-12v-led-circuit-board-rv-boat-light-bulb-1156/sku002510-281

What a difference! Yes the light is whiter and brighter, but for us it turned out to be a good thing! Just takes a little getting use to. These old eyes can see things a whole lot better now. This supplier will quote a wholesale price for 10 or more of one item...we got these lights for $7.70 each (we ordered 30 units)...GREAT PRICE!!!

MC9

bright lights

Ken, which model did you get and does it fit inside the ceiling fixture alright? Jim

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Thanks for the responses, I'll let the wife decide.
Ken I think my bulbs are 1141, I'll have to check when I get home, but a 1156 bulb may bethge same socket. Also what MC9 asked?

kakampers

Ken, which model did you get and does it fit inside the ceiling fixture alright? Jim

We purchased the exact unit that the link takes you to...the 1156, 36 LED circuit board. And, yes, the back of the board has a 3M tape attached, peel off the plastic, press it into the inside, top of the light fixture, plug in the bulb end...and you're done! All thirty bulbs only took about 25-30 minutes to replace...even I could do it! LOL:D

Kathy

kakampers

Thanks for the responses, I'll let the wife decide.
Ken I think my bulbs are 1141, I'll have to check when I get home, but a 1156 bulb may bethge same socket. Also what MC9 asked?

If you have the regular 12V light fixtures, which I'm sure you do...they are the 1156. The 1141 may be the bulb that's over the stove in the range hood...it is a different type and this unit will not replace it...sorry.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The OEM bulbs are 1141, but 1156 will work. They are slightly brighter and draw a bit more current.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
The bulbs are 1141LL (long lasting) and have the base of a 1156. I guess I need to replace all 4 bulbs to get.
Another question If I would go with fluorescent, what wattage? I want to stay with a light about the same physical size.

lwmcguir

The bulbs are 1141LL (long lasting) and have the base of a 1156. I guess I need to replace all 4 bulbs to get.
Another question If I would go with fluorescent, should I go 16 or 30 watt? I don't want to over do it.
We had 16 watt fixtures in our Yellowstone that was an option. The Landmark lamps are larger however the 16 watt fixtures seemed fine in the Yellowstone. We certainly like the flourescent fixtures and never had any problems in all the years with the Yellostone.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Well I finnally replaced the light above the stove/sink with a 18 watt, flourescent. It really brightened the area up. Not sure if we'll change the other kitchen light out.
Thanks for all the help.
I'm thinking of taking the old light and install it in center of the the pass though storage bay. I'll add a switch near the door side to control it. The lights on the sides are ok but don't light up the center very well.

2010augusta

I moved the light from the wall of the basement to the ceiling and it made a huge difference. just a thought.

Attachments

• DSCN6416.JPG
    DSCN6416.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 66

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
The way the 2 lights are mounted on the front wall doesn't really light up across the bay very well. After thing about adding the one in the center, I may move the other 2 from the walls to the top also.

I also saw the mod about taking the partiition down that covers the drain pipe for the washer. I may just remove the pipe and cap both ends, and remove the water water lines, since we won't be installing a washer/dryer. That will give me a lot more room.

I want to add slides in the bay, but not sure whether to put two in, or one that pulls from either side. with two, I could put a wider one on the door side than the off door side. I want to make the slides, can't see spending the money they want for the pre-made ones. I just have to draw it up. But have several other projest to do this winter, maybe I'll get to it by spring.