furnace problem

Bobby A

Anyone having this type of furnace problem ?? If so what was the problem and fix ?? Hear is the sequence of events.

I turn the thermastat to heat, the blower comes on, I hear the burner ignite. Warm air comes out the vents and heats the coach, everything seems to work as normal up to this point. After several minutes of heating the coach and what appears to be normal operation I hear the burner try to re ignite, probably does this 3 or 4 times, than the blower shuts off. As the coach cools than the process repeats. Yes, I have propane, this happens no matter if I have a full tank or not.This happens no matter what the temps are outside, 30's 40's or 50's. Any thoughts please ?? Thank you,

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sounds like a module board problem in the furnace. Looking at my manuals, it does not appear that you can get at it without pulling the furnace out of the coach. The manuals do not give any troubleshooting info. Contact Suburban for an authorized repair tech and let them deal with it. There's a two year warranty on the furnace from date of purchase.

423-775-2131, Ext. 7101 or www.rvcomfort.com

Bobby A

Sounds like a module board problem in the furnace. Looking at my manuals, it does not appear that you can get at it without pulling the furnace out of the coach. The manuals do not give any troubleshooting info. Contact Suburban for an authorized repair tech and let them deal with it. There's a two year warranty on the furnace from date of purchase.

423-775-2131, Ext. 7101 or www.rvcomfort.com

Thanks for looking into it in the manual JohnDar

I contacted Heartland Customer Service and that is what Matt said he thinks it is. I wanted to get feed back from everyone on the forum to see if anyone else has had this issue and what the fix was.

tmcran

I had the same problem on a TT a couple of years ago. The problem was mud dobbers . Had to remove the heater to get to the problem.

Rickhansen

You described the "normal" sequence and the "re-igniting" sequence OK. In between there I got a little gray - what went on? Did the furnace shut down normally, or did the fan continue to run, and the just the burner cycled?

I might guess it to be thermostat problem with short cycling caused by too much heat anticipation. Since you say no different, I'm guessing you have the mechanical thermostat from the factory still. In this case the furnace would shut down normally (the fan would stop and the furnace would start again).

Another possibility is cycling on the auto-reset high temperature cutout. On the inside of the furnace cover (outside the trailer) there is a schematic, if you are into that sort of thing - it may be of some help. There are generally 2 high limits, one auto-reset (set to a lower temp) and one manual reset set at a higher temp). Low airflow can cause the burner to run too hot. (the auto-reset limit only closes the gas valve until the bonnet temper cools back down about 20 degrees and the burner will re-light, but the fan will keep blowing) Make sure all of you vents are open and not blocked.

Hope this helps.

Bobby A

You described the "normal" sequence and the "re-igniting" sequence OK. In between there I got a little gray - what went on? Did the furnace shut down normally, or did the fan continue to run, and the just the burner cycled?

I might guess it to be thermostat problem with short cycling caused by too much heat anticipation. Since you say no different, I'm guessing you have the mechanical thermostat from the factory still. In this case the furnace would shut down normally (the fan would stop and the furnace would start again).

Another possibility is cycling on the auto-reset high temperature cutout. On the inside of the furnace cover (outside the trailer) there is a schematic, if you are into that sort of thing - it may be of some help. There are generally 2 high limits, one auto-reset (set to a lower temp) and one manual reset set at a higher temp). Low airflow can cause the burner to run too hot. (the auto-reset limit only closes the gas valve until the bonnet temper cools back down about 20 degrees and the burner will re-light, but the fan will keep blowing) Make sure all of you vents are open and not blocked.

Hope this helps.

That is really good info thanks so much, sorry I got a little gray on ya. But yes the fan kept running and the burner kept trying to ignite. Eventually the fan would shut off and as the coach cools the process I described in my original post would repeat.Yes I have the original thermostat, customer service is sending me a new one to see if that is the problem or to rule that out.