Dodge 3500 dual - 4x2 or 4x4 for cape cod

rvdogs

Bought a new Cape Cod 39 footer and looking at a Dodge 3500 duallie in either 4x2 or 4x4.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on which will work best....?

Thanks before hand.

2010augusta

Here is a Page I created to help people figure out just what their truck is rated to tow.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9004

Just remember when looking at the trailer weights, ignore all the dry weights and focus in the GVWR for the trailer and take 15% - 25% of that for a loaded pin weight.

osims

bsims
We pull our Cape Cod with a Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4, it's a good combination. I have used the 4x4 several times pulling out on wet grass and it also helps on resale value.
Bill

sidney dreyfus

Dodge 3500 DRW

Bought a new Cape Cod 39 footer and looking at a Dodge 3500 duallie in either 4x2 or 4x4.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on which will work best....?

Thanks before hand.

We have been towing our BH for 2 seasons and I feel very comfortable recommending our truck to anyone. We have the 4 X 4 which we have used on the beach and on wet pavement. The Dual rear wheels have provided us good stability and our Cummins 5.7 liter engine has handled our trailer's weight of around 14,000 lbs without a problem.

thomasinnv

if you are strictly a pavement queen and follow the sun, then really no need for 4x4. myself, i have used it just a couple times, but sure was glad i had it when i needed it. we do not strictly stay to the pavement though.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have the 4x4 also. Have used it both with and without the BH. Went to Rockport and got out on Padre during Spring Break and would have been stuck in the sand if I did not have the 4x4. Same problem at the campground. Backing in the road was narrow and when I went to back into the site my front wheels went off the road into sand and would only back up behind the wheel until I put it into 4x4.

Was at another campground and the sites were grass with a bit of an up slope to get out. Would have to have pulled out if I didn't have 4x4.

In the long run you normally won't use it, however the times when you need it I feel it is well worth having.

BC

Rigmover06

DRW vs SRW

Believe it or not but the GVCW of a dually is actually less than a Single Rear Wheel. By 500 lbs.

Unless your going places off the beaten track, 4x2 would be the way to go. 4 X 4 is expensive to fix.BTDT

Dan

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The reason the weight is less on the dually is the extra equipment to make it a dually and the transaxle.

tpcurran

The advantage of the 4 x 4 is the benefit of low range in the transfer case. This provides a tremendous amount of pulling (or backing) power in a slow controlled fashion. Another thing to consider is the height of the 4 x 4 versus a 2 wheel drive. The 4 x 4 will sit up several inches higher so running boards may be required.

OTR

I've had 2wd and 4wd trucks in the past and currently a 4wd. I have found that when I had 2wd trucks, I always wished I had a 4wd. I will never not own a 4wd truck again, it's better than walking or hiring a tow truck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
OTR, did you mean that you would never own a 2wd truck again??????? I know that I will never own a 2wd. Never have.

Peace
Dave

nemo45

You should also know that on a Dodge, 4WD also takes 500# off of the payload, meaning you would lose 500# from the amount off pinweight you could carry. Also, on a Dodge, going from a 3.73 rearend to a 4.10 adds 2000# to the amount of weight you can tow, from 14,500# to 16,500# or 21,000# to 23,000# GCVWR. These figures are for 2002 to 2006, 3500 SRW Quad Cab with the CTD. I'm sure Chevy and Ford figure variations would be simular with with simular equipment additions.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I think one of the biggest issues is the resale value and ability to sell used. I had a 2000 4X2 and took a beating on the resale, everybody wants a 4X4. I bought another 4X2 as I believed it would last me a long time and I don;t really need 4X4 but for some reason I have been stuck several time with this truck and never with the 2000, go figure. Just my 2 cents worth..../Doug