Replacement tires for 07 GMC 2500 classic

patrick1945

I am looking to replace my OEM Bridgestones ( LT 245/75 R16 E ) with new tires this fall. All the tire dealers have encouraged me to buy something other than Bridgestone.

I drive the truck 8-10K per year (1/2 of that pulling FW) and all of that is on pavement. Safety is first concern but I am also interested in MPG.

Advice?

Northern Virginia
Costco has Michelin tires at a great price and they are really good E rated tires. When I priced them they were close to the price of the Bridgestone at the other dealers.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just put Firestone Transforce HT's on the front this spring. So far so good. Quiet, good wear and a pretty good looking tire as well. I plan on putting 4 more on the rears as soon as we get to Indio. The Firestone issues of the past I think were more related to the tires on the Ford Explorer so I don't think I need to worry about them for our truck. Completely different tire.

lwmcguir

Have had good luck with Firestones lately but dont seem to last as long. Didnt have any blow out so that was good. Have Michelins LTX-AS now and they are holding up well. Currently only have 20K on them.

timdebs

I have the same truck and use Michelins, pull a Pinehurst, and would highly recommend them.

porthole

Retired
For the last 10 years I have been buying "take offs" on eBay.

Each time I had the benefit of getting new wheels and like new tires (anywhere form the 10- 100 mile range).

I have previoulsy got sets for my Dakota and twice for my Tahoe.

Each time I got wheels that I liked over the previous set, and with no aluminum pitting.

The last time I also got to go up to the 17" wheels that are on the newer GM trucks. Looks much better.

The New/used set cost me $1000 delivered.
The old tire in the pic has 46k on it.

Attachments

• GMC_17_inch_wheels_05.jpg
    GMC_17_inch_wheels_05.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 20
  • GMC_17_inch_wheels_07.jpg
    GMC_17_inch_wheels_07.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 16

PUG

Pug
I put on the Michelins on my Chev 2002, 2500 duramax but changed size from 245 to 265s for more weight and safety. Bought them at Costco. They ride better with 80 lbs than my Toyo's did with 45. I pull dthe 3950 and wanted more safety.

Cyncwby

I finally had to replace the Firestone Steeltex 265/75/16's E rated on my F-250 PSD. I have 2 sets of tires/wheels, one for summer (Firestone) and BF Goodrich 285/75/16 T/A's for winter, E rated but they have a load rating of 3750 lbs. which is really a G rate. The BFG's cost about $200 each, I did some shopping and got them for $187.

Firestone has stopped making the Steeltex and replaced it with the Transforce....basically the same tire. If these wear anything near the Steeltex tires I'll be happy. www.tirerack.com for reviews. I bought mine locally for $138 each, not paying $20 each for shipping. Can't go wrong with the Michelins either.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just changed out the 5 tires on my F250. I have always used Michelin tires and went with them again. I looked out on the Michelin web page at the tires available and they came out with a new tire. It has improved traction and heat rating.

Originally the truck came out with Pirelli Scorpion tires. They were very soft and wore very quickly. I changed to LT265/70R17E1 121R Michelin LTX A/S RRBL which I just replaced in Roswell NM at Discount Tire with LT265/70R1731 121R Michelin LTX M/S2 ORWL.

They have a very deep tread and have a very wide spacing between the groves.

I am very happy with these tires.

I use to use Firestone but always had a problem with them cupping out. Went to Sears Gold tires but they got very expensive and I found that Michelin was about the same price and I felt to be a better tire. Have NEVER had a problem with a Michelin tire and I plan to stay with them.

That's what I do..
BC

charliehorse

I ran Michelins for years - loved them - now they are overpriced in my book. My orginals were Pirrellas - got 40K good ones on them - replace with Hankooks - many many bones cheaper - $146. ea. all in price. They ride & drive as good a Michelins . "for what its worth" ...