Cradlepoint MBR1200

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
There are probably still a LOT of RVers who are using older PCMCIA mobile broadband cards like the KPC650, AirCard 595 or even the PX500/PC5750.

Up until now, there has not been a Cradlepoint-branded router that would allow you to share the internet access those cards provide, with multiple computers.

Sure, the Kyocera KR2 was made by Cradlepoint but Kyocera has decided to abandon that router and will no longer update it for any new devices.

Today, the new Cradlepoint MBR1200 has been launched and it features a few advantages over the MBR1000:

-- PCMCIA slot for older cards.
-- gigabit ethernet switch (allows for faster local area network transfers like movies)
-- external WiFi jacks to allow for greater wireless range to/from the router

For those RVers who already HAVE an MBR1000, there is not likely enough reason to consider the new MBR1200.

But for those who have yet to buy a cellular router, the MBR1200 now represents the "state of the art" and offers the most versatility.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Sounds Great Alex. As you know I have the 1000 so I will keep it and keep the 1200 in mind.

I am at Rayford Crossing waiting for the rest of the yahoos to get here for the fall rally. Are you going to make it?

I will be back in Malissa TX (near McKinney) the first week of November. I will give you a call and maybe we can get togeather for lunch or something...

Hope to see you soon.

BC

PS.. Verizon has had the better connection in the west up through Montana until I get back to Texas. Sprint does well here along with Verizon. Glad I have both air cards.

michael_s

Is anyone using the MRB 1000 with an AT&T plan. I have been considering the purchase of a MRB 1000 but I’m not sure how well they work with AT&T air cards.

Also considering a booster antenna to connect to the card. Any thoughts there?

michael_s

I currently use the GT Ultra Express. My research indicates that the 1000 does support that model but I am not for certain. Research also indicates that the 1000 supports many other brands; this would be good in the event of an upgrade or service plan change.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had the ATT PC/MIA air card and when I got my new laptop I had to change it out to a ATT usb Mercury air card. I had to buy the Mercury card as my contract was not up for renewal and since I have an unlimited contract I did not want to change and lost the unlimited. I then bought the Cradlepoint 1000 router about back about 8 months ago and so far I have been pleased with it. Both DW and I am able to use our laptops online at the same time without problems. The biggest issue we have is with the ATT 3G network as it is not a widespread as they advertise. We have found more places with EDGE than with 3G. Dont know about Verizon but they may have a wider 3G area. But the USB Mercury air card does work great. But to start from scratch I would go with a Verizon air card and the 1200 router. IMHO

FWI - I have been a long time customer of ATT (since ATT Cellular was Houston Cellular back in the 90's) and have been happy overall with their service. All cellular providers have gaps in their coverages but I am not really happy with the false claims of widespread 3G coverage that ATT makes. Before chosing a provider look at their coverage maps if you are going to do much traveling. If you stay in a fixed position then maybe it does not matter. At this point Verizon has the best and widest 3G coverage. Remember- 3G=faster speed.

Last edited:

jbeletti

I agree with Jim Gratz, when I moved to Verizon last February, they had the best 3G coverage in the US. I had Sprint previously.

I use my Novatel USB 760 modem with Verizon service with both the MBR1000 and the PHS300 Cradlepoint routers, all from the 3GStore.

I travel the US extensively and have only been in 1 place I could not get Verizon coverage (Kerrville, TX at Buckhorn Lake RV Resort).

I also use an Wilson external antenna, mounted on the ladder and a Wilson amplifier, mounted in an upper cabinet above the back window. Good stuff.

Jim

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
I currently use the GT Ultra Express. My research indicates that the 1000 does support that model but I am not for certain. Research also indicates that the 1000 supports many other brands; this would be good in the event of an upgrade or service plan change.
the GT ultra express card *should* work well, but all of the cards made by option are known to be problematic when used with cradlepoint routers.

here are official notes from cradlepoint: (emphasis mine)
These modems can take up to 2.5 minutes to make a data connection. In our tests, they appear to spend a long time attempting to get a signal before they can make a data connection. The Ultra seems to connect more quickly in our tests. Note that the the Ultra Express' performance in the router is not as good as in the PC. This modem works with the router, but if you have a choice any of the other GSM modems such as the Novatel or Sierra Wireless are more compatible.
specs i can find about the ultra express indicate it is only HSDPA (fast downloads) but not HSUPA (fast uploads).

if anyone were to ask me to recommend an ATT device, right now I'd only recommend the USBconnect Mercury (aka Compass 885)

jgallego

I too have been a long time ATT customer going back to Houston Cellular in the early 90's. After using the att 3g card since their inception and getting bad signals in most locations that I was working even at my house. I decided to try the verizon usb wireless card. After a few days I cancelled my att wireless card. I still have my phones with att but use the verizon wireless card.

Jaime

michael_s

I also use an Wilson external antenna, mounted on the ladder and a Wilson amplifier, mounted in an upper cabinet above the back window. Good stuff.

Jim

Jim I am interested in the Wilson amp and antenna system that you are using. Will you please provide more information about the setup: Amp model, antenna type, internal antenna location and installation (routing for the coax).

I have been thinking about installing a SOHO system in my unit but have been a little concerned about the antenna separation requirements.

I enjoy boon docking but must maintain some form of connection; in the event of emergencies.

jbeletti

Michael,

I don't have access to my paperwork (its at home - I am at an airport) but below is what I could find on what is (was) installed in/on the RV:

• Wilson External Cellular Antenna (trucker style with spring-base)
  • Wilson Cellular Amplifier with passive coupler antenna (patch)
  • Cradlepoint PHS300 Mobile Router
  • Dual DC outlet
  • Verizon USB 760 Cellular Data Modem
Contact the 3GStore by phone and they will work with you to design a solution that fits your needs. I worked with Alex but everyone there is quite capable.

Best of luck to you,

Jim