3010 Electrical problem - trailer lights

dnkdancer

Well I hooked up the camper and was doing my pre-trip inspection and I noticed that I didn't have any running lights and my driver side brake light and turn signal did not work. I checked all of the trucks wiring and I even removed the junction box cover mounted on the hitch. I checked all of the signals and everything seems fine. I am at a loss and now im sitting here typing instead of driving.

To help those interested, I removed the drivers side brake light and checked the wires for voltage and I have three wires running to the light, brown, red and white. If i turn on the hazards, which should supply all signals, I get power to the assembly. So do I have a bad light assembly?

To add to the confusion I also have no running lights. I checked the Green wire in the junction box and I do receive a little over 5v so I assume that should be sufficent to light them. Is the voltage to low?

Any thoughts? I would love to hit the road tonight so any help would be greatly appriciated.

Dean

jimtoo

Hi dnkdancer,

I moved your post to a better place to get some help for your problem. Our members will respond faster here than the factory.

It sounds to me like that you have a bad ground at maybe your trailer plug or on the plug of the pickup. I would check that first.

Jim M

DMitch

You should have atleast 12V to your runninbg lights. I would also suspect a bad ground. I have also seen a bad bulb raise cain with both truck and trailer lights.

All the best,

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes to a loose or bad ground. Most likely on the truck side. Also as Dan stated, a bad bulb can cause it. Does anything strange happen on the dash of the truck when you turn on the Left turn signal? Bob

Chuck Richard

I also agree witrh checking the ground wires at the junction box. I recently had a misshap where my trailer lead hooked on the ball hitch while disconnecting the 5'r. When rewiring I found I believe three ground leads going to the trailer and my guess is one of these has lost it's connection. The five volt reading seems to back the bad ground theory also.

Good luck