Slide Seals Failed or water run off - what do you think?

imchud

A quick question regarding a rain water problem --
Well we got to our B/H 3385 this weekend for our final weekend of camping befor we take it off site and get it ready for winter storage:(... when my DW opened the slides she noticed that on one end of the the main slide (table and couch slide) the carpet that runs underneath the slide was soaked. Its the side of the slide where the slide buts up against the carper that boarders the kitchen floor... now to the question.... We have never had water get behind the seals on the slides? when we close it up and leave for the weekend we always pull in the slides, we have had some pertty bad storms with a lot of rain when we were not there and water never got behind the slides in the past. However, last weekend when we left the camp ground it had been storming out and i'm sure the top of the slides were sitting with water on them? When we pulled in the slides do you think the water could have run off and down the one side of the slide and soaked the carpet beneath it????
We do not have slide toppers, do you think if we did that would pervent water from pooling on the slide? thanks

Tommy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We lived dangerous and left our slides out all summer, even when we weren't there. The slide toppers do keep rain and debris from collecting on top of the slides, but they still get dirty from dust blowing around. If the rubber seals are not flexing correctly, that may allow water on the top to get inside. I use an awning rod to go around and make sure the outer seals (top and sides) have fully extended when I put the slides out. Some folks have put automotive trim pieces on the tops to help pull the seals in and out so they sweep correctly.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
A quick question regarding a rain water problem --
Well we got to our B/H 3385 this weekend for our final weekend of camping befor we take it off site and get it ready for winter storage:(... when my DW opened the slides she noticed that on one end of the the main slide (table and couch slide) the carpet that runs underneath the slide was soaked. Its the side of the slide where the slide buts up against the carper that boarders the kitchen floor... now to the question.... We have never had water get behind the seals on the slides? when we close it up and leave for the weekend we always pull in the slides, we have had some pertty bad storms with a lot of rain when we were not there and water never got behind the slides in the past. However, last weekend when we left the camp ground it had been storming out and i'm sure the top of the slides were sitting with water on them? When we pulled in the slides do you think the water could have run off and down the one side of the slide and soaked the carpet beneath it????
We do not have slide toppers, do you think if we did that would pervent water from pooling on the slide? thanks

Tommy

Most definitely!! Had the same thing happen in our TT which had no toppers...we always have toppers now just for that reason....

jnbhobe

I agree with Ken & Kathy slide toppers are the only way to go. No cleaning the slideout roof any more, they do pool some rain water but it runs off.I clean and dry ours when the wife runs the slides in. Sure glad we have them !!!! JON :cool: :cool: :cool: