Winter tires for truck?

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone,

As you can see from my sig, I have a Chevy Silverado 1 ton dually 4x4. I purchased it this past spring, and the tires that it came with were standard "all season" tires. I have always considered all-season tires to essentially be spring/summer/fall tires. Our other vehicle is a 2004 VW Jetta TDI, and we run snow tires on it for 4-5 months a year.

What do most people do with their 4x4 trucks? Snow tires? Or just all-season tires? Obviously, snowbirds that migrate to Mexico in the winter likely just keep their all-season tires on, but what about those of us that live where we get snow?

Thanks,
Chris

wyleyrabbit

The tires are what came with the truck.

They're General Tire LT225/75R17 116/113Q. Hopefully that means something to you. :)

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
We run Michelin LTX M/S LT235.85R/16 on our 2006 Chev 3500 CCD 4X4 all year round. We have been on south Texas beach sand and up in Washington State on Snoqualmie Pass when road crews required 4WD. Have not had a problem in either situation, nor on rain slick roads pulling our BH 3580RL. We have run these tires since truck was new, replaced them with same thing at 86,000 miles. Best wishes in your choice, God Bless ya, Al W

jnbhobe

I park one of my trucks for the winter but the other gets 4 studded Courser MSR by Mastercraft 265-75-16 LR-E they are priced right and I can get 2yrs out of a set plowing and 400 to 500 miles a week and still have 7 to 8 - 32nds left on them. I paid $132 ea mounted,balanced,and studded. I believe in a summer tread in the summer and a studded winter tire in the winter.I put 4 on every car and truck we own and drive in the winter.But not everyone gets to live in NW Pennsylvania. Home of the LAKE EFFECT SNOW STORM :mad: :mad: JON :cool: :cool:

beardedone

Beardedone
I have the same question as the OP because we love snow so much !! I was thinking of putting studs in because the back end of these duallies always tend to be a little unstable when empty.

Rigmover06

I have the same question as the OP because we love snow so much !! I was thinking of putting studs in because the back end of these duallies always tend to be a little unstable when empty.

I got my tires siped instead of studded. Worked alot better for us. Cheaper too.:D

jnbhobe

I got my tires siped instead of studded. Worked alot better for us. Cheaper too.:D
The Courser MSR tire is siped a lot too, great for traction. I get the studding done for 4 bucks ea. A lot of dealers get $12 to $15 ea. This way I get the best of both worlds.By the way are you allowed studs in Alberta, They are illegal in Ontario. Jon :cool: :cool: :cool:

Rigmover06

Studs...

Yeah out here in backwards Alberta us rednecks can run studded tires from Nov 1 to April 1. The enlightened people in Ontario use calcium and some other chemicals on the roads instead. I make one trip through ON and back I gotta look on my cab card to see what color my truck is supposed to be.

And that stuff gets EVERYWHERE. Eats the heck out electrical and paint on ones frame.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Bought 7 at Sears. Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Pro Grade, Load E, 10 ply - made in USA! :) I paid $1551 for 7 of them - mounted, balanced, new stems, road hazard, everything. Cheaper than the quote I had gotten from Goodyear store. Very pleased with them so far, and they are definitely the 'quietest' tire I've ever had on this truck.

jnbhobe

Hey Duane; How you going? Harleyrider and Nhunter have good links on siping. As for NWPA I'm in Branson now Hope the snow goes away soon as we are heading back monday morning. JON :eek: :eek: :eek:

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
The claim by the people who sell the equipment to do the siping is that it costs too much for the tire manufacturer to do each tire.

I agree. If is such a good idea then do it from the git go.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hi everyone,

What do most people do with their 4x4 trucks? Snow tires? Or just all-season tires? Obviously, snowbirds that migrate to Mexico in the winter likely just keep their all-season tires on, but what about those of us that live where we get snow?

Thanks,
Chris

I have driven all over the country and in all weather with the all season tires that came on the truck with no problems at all.

Driving off road in the mud however.....