Bighorn, upgrades

Retired CPO

Recently my wife Karen (Chickie)& I went to full time living & traveling in our 2008', 3400RL, BH that was equipped with elect brakes & 6K axles & springs with mission 235/85/16.5 E tires. Knowing we were about to chg from an east coast resident to a west coast traveler gave us lots to think about regarding what chg's might we want to make to our truck & 5th wheel. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p< font O:p<>
We wanted new tires right off even though these missions’ tires had less than 2K miles/1.5 yrs on them. We also wanted disk brakes for the higher mountains of the <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:pNorthwest a font O:p< for!<O:p< paid its and - unit plan floor 3400RL our with happy totally are we as new than rather chg lit wish the of few just These ?TDI?. from kit reel motorized 50Amp add to decided also We must. was protector surge House Whole so CG different many be would there regions. Canadian Alberta BC & WA ST1:p territory<>
So here is what we got! Oh - <ST1:p<?xml:namespace forum www.heartlandowners.org http: ns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com//heartlandowners.org/ prefix=</ST1:p<?xml:namespace><st1:placeName alt="" 0? w:st=" border="></st1:placeName>TrailAir <st1:placeName w:st="on">Service</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Center</st1:placeType>
1) Lippert 7K axles (2) as a complete kit. New HD leaf springs, full 12" disks brakes, Never Lube bearings (these are great). The Lippert folks price things as a set so when you break up the kit you pay more for separate items. This was the reason we went with the whole kit at approx $3K. Now as full timers we really don't have to worry about any weight issues. The <ST1:pCarlisle< font O:p< unit with just & ST1:p system<O:p< mgmt Haul Tow F350 Ford my great up matched elect pump hyd>
2) Four New Goodyear G614 235/85/16.5 tires what a difference!! and weight capability chg. 3750# per tire at a "G" rating.<O:p< font O:p<>
3) RV Capital Service center in <ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Elkhart
4) Chg'd out the old rear brake/tail lights to digital ones from Dan's RV service center in <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pElkhart< st1:City ST1:p<>. "Very bright" cost approx $80<O:p< font O:p<>
We are still in <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pElkhart< st1:City ST1:p<>awaiting our new 50Amp reel from TDI as its b/o & due in on Tues/Wed Oct 6/7 then installation the next day. We will be glad to keep all of you informed as many of you have been asking for this info. God Bless all, "Fair winds & following Seas"
<O:p< font O:p<>
<O:p< font O:p<>
Chief<O:p< font O:p<>
</O:p<>
</ST1:pElkhart<></st1:City></O:p<></ST1:pElkhart<></st1:City>
</ST1:p<st1:City>
</ST1:pCarlisle<>
</ST1:pNorthwest>

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Smart move....sounds like you eliminated the achilles heal of your BH and most other models. Did you trade-in your new/old axles? Could you please post a picture of those new tail lights?...sounds interesting.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Chief
Good web site.. Were did you get the tail light replacements?..

BC

PS.. What was your rate?? STG2 here when discharged in 1966....

Delaine and Lindy

Upgrades.....

Chief, those upgrades are great. At one time we had ordered a Big Horn and before going to pick it up I was going to get the upgrade, but we decided to get a Landmark and it came with Goodyear G614's. The 5th wheel we have now has 8,000 axles and Goodyear G114's H rated on 17.5" tires, and so for I'm impressed with the G0114's. We have ran the G614's on 3 different 5th wheels and never a issue. GBY.....

P.S. Thank you for serving our Country.