'07 Tacoma w/ North Trail 21FBS

Brad

Howdy all,

The wife and I just committed to a North Trail 21FBS. Tow vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4 non-TRD. It has had the suspension TSB performed, meaning the 3-leaf springs have been replaced with 4 (as well as swapping in the stiffer TRD shocks). And of course we will be using a WDH w/ sway control.

Towing experience to-date amounts to ~500 miles with a 13' 1979 Scotty. We bought it super cheap and used it for a year just to verify that we'll enjoy trailering. But the thing is such a clunker I just don't feel safe pulling it, which is what brought us to the North Trail so quickly...

I'm a little worried about a loaded 21FSB being at the heavy end of the ratings -- is there anyone out there who tows with a Tacoma that can offer any insight into what kind of towing experience we can expect?

jimtoo

Hi Brad,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the Family. We have a great bunch of people here, with lots of information and all willing to help. So just ask away as someone will have the answer.

Someone will jump in here and answer your question shortly.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy and have fun camping.

Jim M

irvin56

howdy and welcome, we own a 31qbs n.t.

nice units.

what is the max weight your truck can pull.?
motor size, rear end, this will all help for the members to answer your questions.

The maximum weight of the north trail is 6,900 lbs.
I don't know the weight of the 21 loaded. there are a bunch of owners that have 21's. I'm sure someone will jump in to help.

I would guestamate around 5,800.00 loaded.

mine weights 6,800.00 loaded and mines bigger and 34 foot long

Brad

Hi Irvin,

The Tacoma has a 4.0 V6, 236 hp, 266 lbs-ft, wheelbase ~128".

Tacoma GVWR 5450 lbs
Max truck cargo 1200 (Tacoma weight ~4300)
Max tongue load 650
Max towable 6500
Max combined 11100

I don't know what the tongue weight w/ WDH will be, I'm guessing ~350 (dry).
21FBS theoretical dry weight is 4400, suspect loading around 5000 for a typical short jaunt (mostly extended weekends -- hoping to pull off a full week at some point, at which point I suppose 5500 isn't out of the question). I understand things tend to add up faster than you think, but we do keep it pretty simple.

My concern is, with a reasonably loaded trailer and some basic things in the truck, it's gettin' up there... still under the limit, but I was wondering if any Tacoma owners could speak to their specific towing situations and how it handles.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad

For the record, it tows quite nicely. It was a bit of a struggle from Albuquerque to Gallup (almost entirely uphill toward the Continental Divide) with a 15 mph headwind thrown in. I had trouble maintaining 65 mph. But for the remainder of the trip (750 miles round trip) it towed great! Smooth and stable and cruises nicely at 65 mph. A little more power might be nice, but not at all necessary. No need to dig a deeper hole and trade in for a Tundra. :)

ucwinters

Brad,

I had an '06 Tacoma crewcab w/ the V-6 (also had the suspension upgrade done using Toyota's dime to pay for it). We were towing an ALiner a-frame camper. Decided to get a North Trailer 21 FBS and knew that I'd need a truck w/ more gusto. Sold the Tacoma to CarMax and bought a '09 Ford F-150 w/ the 5.4 L 3-valve V-8 w/ tow package. Does a nice job of pulling the trailer.
In the future I'll probably put a Banks Monster Exhaust on the truck and waiting for Banks to come out w/ a cold air intake system.
Enjoy your North Trail - we really like our's.

Ed W.