newbie 31qbs H water bypass?

berger

Hi all, We are brand new TT owners. We were not shown how to by pass the hot water heater on our 2009 31qbs,when we picked it up in June. We are thinking of winterizing the new toy soon after going camping next weekend. I am not sure how to access the by pass valve. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ed

BIG_ZD

Congradulations on the new toy! Inside the front pass thru storage compartment on the side that they hot water tank is on, is a panel you have to remove to get access to the water heater. The bypass valve is located inbetween the hot water shut off and cold water shut off.

irvin56

unscrew the paneling inside front storage,

behind the hot water heater. you have to almost crawl into it to get to the screws. Then you will see the 3 valves. Turn middle one so handle runs along tubing. Then turn to other two on top and bottom. they run the antifreeze through lines.

I made a little access door on mine so this year I only had to reach inside and turn valves. did not have to crawl inside and fight with screws.

remove the annode rod and leave out for the winter

berger

Thanks 4 the quick answers. E-mailed Hartland and they gave a quick response as well. We are clueless as stated. Where and how do you get to the water pump? Sorry, we know this is a simple question. We have taken the QBS out 4 times and it has been flawless.

Thanks,
Ed

irvin56

dinnette bench. take out screws and pump is

mounted there. The seat right at entrance door.

The bypass for adding antifreeze is there also. shut off the valve going into floor(tank) and open the other valve. stick the short hose into a jug of antifreeze and turn on pump. I used 1+1/2 jugs to do mine.

http://www.bitware.com/5er/winterizing.htm

berger

Thanks all for the fine info. Do you blow out the air first or just run the anti freeze to all the lines or both?

thanks

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hi Ed,

I blow out the lines with air, then run antifreeze thru as added insurance:). By the way, you should plan on bringing that new North Trail down to Cape Hatteras for the East Coast Rally next Apr/May!:D
Gus

Roy-Huss

winterizing

Hey Ed how did you make it easy I had a heck of a time and still not sure its right but I got my fingers crossed. I couldn't get the pump to suck in the antifreeze????:confused:

irvin56

Roy

You need to close the valve behind the pump leading from tank and then open the valve that goes to antifreze jug. Otherwise you are trying to suck water from the tank .

mjames19

winterizing

Roy,

I had the same problem with not getting any suction from the pump. //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon6.gif I found that the filter/strainer that sits between the pump and the fresh water tank (or in this case the winterizing tube) had a crack in it. It wouldn't allow a vacuum to form to draw the antifreeze out of the bottle. A short term solution is to take this filter out and connect the input line directly to the pump. //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

charlie51

Roy-huss, there is also a valve on the pump. I had to turn it so that when i turned the pump on from the monitor panel it would pump. It will pump a gallon of antifreeze in about 1 minute.

DJC523

Re: winterizing

In my old trailer (while I'm waiting for my NT) I just drained the fresh water tank and poured a couple gallons of antifreeze in to it. Then I raise the tongue up a bit to let it all flow back to the opening leading to the pump and just use the pump with it's standard connections to pump the antifreeze through the rest of the system (after bypassing the water heater). In there any reason why that might not work on a North Trail? I've always done that on my Sunline and never had a problem...

irvin56

DJC
with the 31QBS the pump is on top of tank and pump sucks it up. Raising tongue won't do any good
the suction tube for fresh water is on side of tank, but not at the bottom.
Some water is always in tank. and can not suck it all out.

you need to ,under seat by entrance door, turn vavles and suck antifreeze from the hose by pump.
unless you put 5-6 jugs antifreeze in FWT to delute the water. And then it may not be strong enought strenght wise.

AND BEFORE YOU USE FRESH WATER TANK, YOU WOULD HAVE FRUSH AND FILL LOTS OF TIMES.

When I first got my unit. I wanted to flush fresh tank. I HAD water running for 6 -7 imutes at a good flow. nothing was coming out of drain line. I panicked thinking the lines was disconnected and flooding my under belly.
Finally it started to flow out drain.

NOW UPON DRAINING TANK. when pump quit sucking water I still had water showing on tank level. when I was driving home and parked trailer on unlevel , sideways, water started to pour out of FRW drain.

went across city and again parked on other side of road and water started to pour out again.

BOttom line. you don't get everything out of tank you put in. so Don't pour antifreeze into tank unless you want to spend a lot of time trying to get it out later