Heartland Razor Problems

wolfdad

My wife and I purchased a 2008 Heartland Razor Toyhauler in August of 2009 from Leo's RV in Gambrills, Maryland. We have had several "minor" problems that were either taken care of by Leo's or that I was able to fix myself.

That having been said, we have now run into what we feel is a major problem. We camp regularly up in Gettysburg, PA and were on the DC beltway coming home two weekends ago when the right rear tire quite litterally exploded (I was looking out the right sideview mirror when it went, while changing lanes). On further examination, the tire had completely de-treaded itself all the way around. Since this was only the 4th trip we have taken with the rig, I thought that this type of failure was extremely odd....almost like the tire had been a recap. However, that was not the case.

We called for roadside assistance from our insurance company and were on our way within a couple of hours on the spare.

The following day, I purchased a replacement tire and asked the folks here in southern Maryland where I do business if they could tell what had caused the failure. They said, to them, it looked like something had, quite litterally cut the tire down. I couldn't figure that one out until I changed the tire.

Both of the U bolts holding the axle were loose and, after changing the tire, the right rear tire has now moved inboard of the forward tire by approximately 1.5 inches to 2 inches and the opposed is true on the other side of the axle (left is out the same amount). Additionally, I had to cut out a rather large piece of sheet metal that had been pretty thoroughly mutilated. Additionally, the rear axle now appears to be bent.

What I now believe happened is that, for some reason, the axle worked loose and started moving side to side and that, at some point it contacted the sheet metal beneath the RV, which then cut down the tire, resulting in a catestrophic failure. Obviously, with my handicapped son, wife and three Jack Russells in the tow vehicle, we are extremely lucky, this having happened on the beltway.

What I am now curious about, after reading several other pieces on Heartland 5th wheel axle problems, if anyone else has experienced a similiar situation and what had to be done to fix the problem. And, I honestly have no earthly idea why/how the axle got bent and that is very plainly visible.

Would appreciate any comments, similiar experiences and the right fix for this problem.
Thanks,

jimtoo

Hi wolfdad,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here, with lots of good information to share.

Sorry to hear of your tire and axle problem, but the first thing you need to do is contact your dealer, take pictures and it probably would not hurt to contact Heartland customer service to get things started. 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

I did move your thread to a better location for answers. Keep us informed and updated on your problem here.

Jim M

wolfdad

Jim,
Thanks for the info and the move. I had run into another thread elsewhere in this forum regarding axles and problems. Since my wife and I are new, both to rv'ing and this forum, thought I would throw the scenario out and see if any others had similiar problems and what the fix might be.

jimtoo

wolfdad,

There have been some tire problems and a few axle and u-bolt problems. But not to many. But nothing is perfect, I guess if it was they would not make wrenches and screwdrivers and tools to repair things with. But stay on top of it and keep us informed as things progress.

Coming from an old service manager, contact your dealer and be as nice as you can requesting service and explaining your problem. I know it is not easy sometimes when you have a problem like this. But. believe me, being nice and trying to work with them is a lot easier than working against them.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
Are your tires 15" or 16"

The haulers tires were upgraded from the 15s to 16s, presumably due to loading and or tire issues.
I'm guessing you 08 was a leftover and it is quite likely the tires sat in the sun being damaged nature.

There are a lot of tales of woe of trailer tires, both here on and on most of the RV sites.

You might be well advised to replace all 4 for your own piece of mind.

Search this site for plenty of good recommendations.

Pursue it at your dealer, maybe at least you can get the tires at cost with free mount and balance.

wolfdad

Thanks for the additional info on the tires. I think you are probably correct in that this was a "leftover" 2008, however we did have 16" tires on the vehicle and absolutely no signs of dry or ultraviolet intrusion/damage.

From everything I have seen, read and have heard through various RV forums, we believe our initial impression was correct...that the axle loosened and began to move laterally, eventually, gaining enough side-to-side play to contact the sheet metal work underneath the trailer. Once that ocurred, it was a "done deal" in that the sheet metal won out against the tire rubber and, essentially, cut the tread right off the tire. Preflight inspections were thorough and conducted both prior to departure from home and departure from Artillery Ridge campground and we noticed nothing on either inspection.

Obviously, we plan to take the trailer back up to Leo's RV for repair, however we want somebody to assure us that towing the trailer, even just back up to the deal is a safe evoution.