Tire balance

rick_debbie_gallant

Should I balance/have to balance my tires? I may have to be heading to a tire store and have this done and possibly buy a warrenty on them.

Tom of Ypsi

Not an expert on this but my guess would be yes to having your tires balanced. I do not know if there is a difference in how they wear, I'm sure there is, but if you have ever looked at how out of balance your car/truck tires are before balancing why not the trailer.

rick_debbie_gallant

Tom:

I take it you have had your tires balanced. How many others out there have had theirs balanced as well? I have to wonder if this out of balance may be responsible for premature tire wear/tire failure.

Rick

Tom of Ypsi

Rick,

Yes I did have my tires balanced. If truck/car tires are not balanced they do have premature wear that is why I had mine done when I put on the Good Years.

Clark

Following a catastropic tread separation on my origional Mission tires I replaced them with GoodYear G614. Given the need for balance on all of my automobile and truck tires, I had the new GY all balanced. I'm too insulated from the trailer to feel the shake resulting from unbalanced tires so just assume that it would be present on the trailer also. Didn't cost much and was a little peace of mind.
Clark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rick, I have had my tires balanced and I believe I can tell the difference when towing. Seemed much smoother. I think a worthwhile investment. One more thing is that I had the bolt on all steel valve stems installed. Another worthy expense. IMHO.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Absolutely.... Balance your trailer tires.. You may have shocks on your trailer but they really serve no need due to the angle they are mounted.

When the springs broke on my trailer it damaged both shocks. Lippert Rep suggested I balance my tires.. I have always balanced my tires. Just think.. When you go to Wally World and you get a cart with a flat side on a wheel. This would be about the same as a tire being out of balance.

Another way to balance your tires is by putting the beads in the tire. You would need a new Schrader valve (valve stem) so the beads won't come out when you check your air pressure..

Balance them.. It can only help.

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You would never really know if a tire is 'out of round' if you do not get it balanced. I have always balanced the trailer tires including the spare. BTW if your trailer tires lock up when you brake you will have a flat spot on the tire and cause it to be out of balance. Hence be sure you have your trailer brakes properly adjusted.

jimpav

As I stated in a previous comment,
We had our tires balanced with Equal balance powder on our 35DSRL Eagle Ridge.
"This is suppose to replace the traditional clamp-on weights used to balance tires. The unique thing about this product is that unlike the clamp-ons, this product is blown into your tires via the valve stem through the use of the Equalizer machine, found in 4Wheel Parts or other authorized Equal [COLOR=#ff4400! important][COLOR=#ff4400! important]dealers[/color][/color]. The product moves around inside the tire to correct balance infinitely, while your tires are rolling on the road. The manufacturer also claims that you won't ever have to re-balance your tires again.
Balancing your tires with EQUAL compensates for irregularities found in both the tire and wheel assembly and at the tire road surface contact. EQUAL has the ability to adapt, respond and dampen vibrations at the tire footprint."
and, NO, moisture will not degrade the powder. My Brother-in law who works for Goodyear has seen hundreds of tires that have used this product, especially semi trucks. Best time to "throw in the bag" is when you get your tires mounted, but we just had it applied to the existing mounted tires. Really simple install. here's a link to the product:
http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/faqs.aspx
PS be sure they change out the valve stems with the special EB ones as they have a check valve to preclude the loss of powder upon inflation.