How much antifreeze

patrick1945

This will be first experience winterizing my new 3055 Bighorn. Previously I would use 3 gallons of antifreeze with my forest river FWer. I use the blow out method with antifreeze. Is 3 gallons more than enough? I can always return unopened jugs..

2010augusta

It took me about 4 or 5 gallons, but I had to winterize the washing machine and that takes quite a bit. 2 or 3 gallons should be enough if you do not have a washer.

Northern Virginia
I used just under 4 gallons last year. I don't have the washing machine but have the prep so I also needed to do those lines.

John

2010augusta

Do not forget to blow out the black tank flusher line too, It is easy to overlook, but due to the design of the plumbing, water is trapped in it all the time. There is a vacuum breaker mounted at a high point and a check valve at the connector, so it must be cleared to avoid a system failure.

Rrloren

I usually blow out the lines after turning off the bypass valves on the water heater then put 1-2 cups antifreeze into each drain. Less than half a gallon. Done it that way over 10 yrs. without a problem.

bighorn3370

My BH 3370 can be done with three gallons, but I use four. The price of r.v. antifreeze is cheap compared to a leak in the spring.

lhetsler

anti-freeze

If you drain the lines and then blow them out good you can get by with 2 gallons. That is what I use, but I really spend some time to pressurized the lines with air and then open the valve at each sink and toilet, shower and drain points. If you winterized several times a year it would be easier to just use 3 or 4 gallons, as someone else said, it doesn't cost that much. If you don't feel real comfortable, throw in an extra gallon. Also the newer unit may not have low point drain lines, so getting all the water out is more difficult and they may need more anti-freeze.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'm doing my 3055 tomorrow and will use 4 gallons. I like to get lots in the traps and into the tanks for the valves. I'm never sure the tanks fully drain so lot's of antifreeze. As the previous responder noted, antifreeze is cheap enough. I've done this procedure for 20 years and never had a problem.../Doug

patrick1945

Covering drain traps

Do you cover the sinks, shower and toilet to prevent evaporation of the anti-freeze that you have added? Do you put plastic wrap over the drain?

rick_debbie_gallant

One thought is to add about half a tablespoon full of some type of oil to each trap. Be it vegtable oil, canola oil, glycerin etc... The oil should float on top of the antifreeze and prevent it from evaporating. Just a theory. But then the plastic wrap should do the same thing.

2010augusta

I have never covered the toilet or any drains and have not seen any evidence of the antifreeze evaporating. My family has had RV's for about 16 years now, so I done this many times.

Northern Virginia
I don't think you have to worry about antifreeze evaporating in the plumbing traps unless you stored it for several years.

lwmcguir

We have had TT and 5er for over 4 decades and never seen any significant antifreeze evaporation. Just be sure you get enough in the traps to displace the water.