Bad Experience Looking for Rally Site

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
One of the campgrounds I contacted recently to inquire about holding the East Coast Rally next spring was Cherrystone CG on the "Delmarva" peninsula, just across the Chesapeake Bay from Norfolk, VA. I couldn't believe the response I got when inquiring about holding our rally there: I could only come look at the campground on Mon thru Thurs. I had to pay a $20 deposit to look at the campground. I had to "self-guide" myself around the campground. If I took longer than 30 minutes, I forfeit my deposit.

I found everyone of these stipulations to be absolutely ridiculous. It's pretty obvious I didn't go there and they'll never be getting any business from me. I would not recommend them to anyone. What ever happened to Customer Service?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gus, WOW, that CG's economy must really be doing well. Maybe they could spread the wealth.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
After what I had experienced here attempting to arrange the 2010 Rally for NJ I have first hand knowledge and understanding of your frustration with campground operators and staff.

I have put a great deal of thought into this situation and have recognized one important fact. Although, the RV industry has grown in leaps and bounds over the last (say) 10 years, the available campground facilities have remained virtually unchanged in our area. There are far more RV's than sites to house them. Additionally, as the RV's become bigger and better for the consumer, the facilities available in our area to host them have grown fewer. Especially in big numbers.

In my opinion you made a wise choice.

bill40

Glad you found out up front. Be glad you didn't stay there, made that mistake a few years ago and heard it had not improved. You just backed up what we heard. Attitude then and now.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I found everyone of these stipulations to be absolutely ridiculous. It's pretty obvious I didn't go there and they'll never be getting any business from me. I would not recommend them to anyone. What ever happened to Customer Service?

Some of these places/people are out of their GD minds....but, this being the garden spot that it is...and knowing that just EVERYONE wants to stay here..I find that attitude pretty pervasive at most campgrounds in this part of Virginia. Most of the other campgrounds around here want astronomical camping fees...and as far as customer service goes, they could really give a flip. They don't care about repeat business because there are plenty of others wanting to stay in the area.

I'm out in Chesapeake and I would not recommend this campground, period. The office staff are reborn Nazis. You would not believe the rules and their haphazard way of enforcing them.

The grounds people are great. It's the owners that leave a lot to be desired.

jmaguire

We have stayed at Cherrystone for the past few years for the holloween for the kids. But you are right about the customer service. Also at over $80.00 per night we had already decided that this year would be our last trip there. There are just not a lot of good campgrounds around here that I enjoy going to.

Jim & Harriet

campground

Sad state of affairs. I did not know that you had to pay a deposit to LOOK at a campground. Most places want you to come and look. I wondered why this CG had not been chosen for the East Coast Rally.

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
One of the campgrounds I contacted recently to inquire about holding the East Coast Rally next spring was Cherrystone CG on the "Delmarva" peninsula, just across the Chesapeake Bay from Norfolk, VA. I couldn't believe the response I got when inquiring about holding our rally there: I could only come look at the campground on Mon thru Thurs. I had to pay a $20 deposit to look at the campground. I had to "self-guide" myself around the campground. If I took longer than 30 minutes, I forfeit my deposit.

I have been there once, a long time ago. It is very nice but I have read recently that the customer service is horrible and not friendly at all, even when you are camping there. There are a ton more in VA that have awesome staff members. Might I suggest VB Holiday Travel Park?!!

dieselsweetheart

Ok I'll drop in my story... a few years back my brother-in-law (who owns a 35' SOB) was traveling with friends who also owned RVs...most the size of his but one was smaller. Cherrystone would not give a site to the smaller RV owner next to the rest of the group because his rig was "smaller" (it may have been a 30 or 32') and they reserve those sites for "bigger" RVs. My brother-in-law said "a reservation is a reservation...as long as there is a paying customer what is the difference? He is with us" but they held firm. So their friend had to occupy a site away from the group in the area for "smaller" rigs. Needless to say, my brother-in-law will never stay there again and he is quick to share his story with other RV owners who ask about that CG.

Jim-n-Leslie

Bad Experience at Cherrystone

Gus -
Leslie and I have looked over your experience, the feedback, and other experiences others posted in reply. Leslie has been a returning camper to Cherrystone as far back as... okay, she is beating on me now. Well, let's just say she went there as a child many moons ago, and we camped there many times with friends and family as our kids grew up. Camping, fishing, crabbing, and the camaraderie are some of the experiences we still share today
. :)
That said, things did change when ownership changed hands a few years back. Their customer service is lacking, and they can be quite a bit draconian in their establishment and enforcement of rules . :confused:
The only thing Leslie and I would recommend, in order to drive the point home that they need to rethink their ways, is to express the displeasure of your experience to them via email (info@cherrystoneva.com), specifying the issues you found repulsive. Cc: all of those members of our group who would have been camping there in the spring had they not pressed such knucklehead rules. Then we can all forward emails informing them that we look forward to this year's rally (without specifying where - no need to foster bad blood between campgrounds), but we will not be spending the time or our money at their campground. Maybe when they get 30-40 5th wheel RVers pounding displeasure on their inbox, they will reconsider such foolish rules. Only in that way can we ensure campers are offered the opportunity to enjoy campsites all over the East Coast. Cherrystone is a great setting, especially for families. It is too bad the owners are being so bull headed in their ways.
Food for thought,
Jim & Leslie

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thanks Jim (and nice touch stopping before you mentioned HOW LONG Leslie had been going there ;):D). I did send them an email, but have not received a response. I honestly think they just don't care. I'm not sure it'll help any, but I intend to notify both Good Sam and Woodall's of my experience and displeasure.

Look forward to seeing you again next Spring!

Gus

lelandpa

20 bucks to look around??? I have never heard of something so rediculous! I have never come across a campground that charged to look around. Its obvious they don't need the business. Oh well, their loss!

PSF513

Thecampground seems to be extremely busy from early May through Late Sept to mid-October. I have camped there before with no bad attitudes, etc. However, it has been a few years.

jmaguire

We are going there Friday for the Halloween festivities. The kids love it, but I think this will be my last time there. It is also over $80.00 a night!
Next summer we are planning some trips a little further away from home. I am a school teacher and don't get much time off during the school year.

porthole

Retired
So, we were traveling by motorcycle. My friends pull a small pop up with their bike.

We stopped at the Jellystone CG in Luray as they have cabins available too. This way we could stay together.

i expected the $40 a night charge, but $10 extra for linens was too much. They wouldn't budge, even though the CG was probably only 10% occupied.

Went down the street, got a warm and cozy motel where I didn't have to walk outside to use the shower for the same price. :D

The CG tried getting my friends to get me to come back, even waiving the $10 linen fee - too late :cool:

dieselsweetheart

Jim and I just found our 2010 rally site on Sunday. Want to know what we got when we said we wanted to take a look around? "Sure! Here, here's a car tag (for 2 hours) so nobody stops you!" She couldn't have been nicer! Yep, those are the types of people/campgrounds we will be working with and staying at!!!