Nasty Tasting Ice

Leno

We picked up our new unit 1.5 weeks ago. The ice still smells and tastes terrible. I have been throwing it out and starting all over. How long should this continue?

Northern Virginia
I'd continue to cycle the ice maker. The old water/antifreeze/sanitizing fluid in the line needs to work it's way out. I have the same problem when I add bleach or anitfreeze to the system or if the water hasn't been used in a while. When fresh water finally makes it's way thru the long tube to the ice maker you'll be in business.

John

Paul & Nan

We had this problem for almost a year. Finally found out that the heater tape on the ice maker line did not shut off and was melting the water line--hence the nasty taste and smell. All fixed at last, good ice. Nan

wdk450

ice maker

First, think about water filtering. Does your drinking water have any bad taste? You might want a filter before your city water inlet.
I added a filter in the icemaker line in the refig compartment (you can get them at any hardware store). That also gives you a chance to cut the line in the compartment and run water out it onto the ground and flush through a lot more water than just an occasional icemaker fill. Be sure to locate your icemaker line shutoff valve before you start this. Mine is behind the docking station, other have reported them in the refrig outside access panel, behind the drawer under the refrig, and under the sink.
Some people have posted (this icemaker bad taste has been a recurring problem) that they washed out the icemaker and freezer with a baking soda solution to remove any possible plastic surface taste. This is also a matter of taste. I think our ice is now OK, but my wife won't use it.

Good luck!!!

Leno

It is definately not the water. We have been using that and have no odor or bad taste at all.. I have just now dumped my sixth container of ice out.. I would think by now that whatever was in the line would be gone.. Not sure what to do next.

rick_debbie_gallant

Not sure if this would even help or be possible. How about taking a sample of the water to your local health department for testing? May lead to what is the problem. Make sure it is water from the melted ice that is cycled through.

lwmcguir

We let the ice maker run for two weeks, throwing it out each time it was full. Still a little funky when we took it back for service. Havent got it back yet to try it again. Had a bit of antifreeze taste. The water was fine as well. Same water as in our home. Apparently takes a long time to get the new/anti freeze taste out, at least in ours.

rick_debbie_gallant

That is a lot of wasted ice. You could always wrap the ice in little baggies and seal them up before putting them in your drinks. Or have your glass ware 1/4 full of water and freeze it. then you have a chilled glass with ice already in it:cool:

2010augusta

Might try to sprinkle some baking soda in the cube forms while the freezer is off and then cycle the ice-maker on to make ice. try it a couple time to freshen the forms.