Tire wear

LaurieK

We took our 2008 Sundance with 11,000 miles into the dealership (General RV in Wayland) because of a severely worn tire. The tire is a driver's side rear which had the inside tread completely worn off. The dealership said this is the result of low inflation but Bill always checks the tire pressure and it has never been more than 5 lbs. low. Any suggestions?

Tom of Ypsi

Coming from "The General" anything is possible. Have them check out the axle alignment, springs, spring hangers and anything else to do with the tires/wheels. Make sure the distance from the front tire to the back tire is the same on both sides of the coach. Hope this helps a little and I am sure more wil chime in..

DMitch

LaurieK, I had the same problem with my last unit (SOB). After a whole lot of aggravation with the dealer and a bunch of spent money I took the unit to a local axle and spring shop that aligns large trailers. It wasn't that expensive and they cured the problem in 1 day. They have the equipment to do the job.

LaurieK

Thanks for the hints. We have had our trailer in for repair on the Lippert front jacks too and are wondering if we will ever get it back since they have had our rig for over 3 weeks now.

Bill intends to call the dealership today to see what is going on. Last we heard, a part was ordered but that was over a week ago. Then we have to deal with the axle/tire issue & buy one new tire too.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Either you have an alignment problem or perhaps a hanger issue. Per the earlier thread the center of the wheels should be within 1/8 inch on both sides. If they are and the trailer pulls straight you have a bent axle. The Alignment shop will bend it back to correct the camber. Should check the equalizers and shackle bolts as well to be sure you don't have a lot of wear. Pull the trailer forward, stop check the wheel distance, back up and see if it still the same.