Questions about power cord standing up to winter weather

laffman

I have a seasonal campsite I keep my 5ver on. I left the power cord plugged in thinking we were going back one more time this season. But we're not. I turned the breakers on the post off, disconnected the negative battery cable and the camper is already winterized.

My question is will the cord hold up to an entire winter's weather or do I need to make a trip over to the 5ver to pack it away? :confused: The campground is in western Michigan about a mile off Lake Michigan, so it's going to get a lot of snow.

scotty

On a unit (30amp) that I've had in a seasonal spot in New Jersey I left the power cord connected for three years with no noticeable ill effects. However, I also left power on. I'm just saying this because if you're not using any power it wouldn't hurt to store the cable out of the elements. If it's a problem to go back and do that I wouldn't worry too much.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't think it would hurt however if it was me and I am not going back there I would at least pack it away for "safe-keeping". They are not cheap to replace so if it is not too much trouble why risk it.

grizzlygiant

Your battery being left uncharged all winter in freezing conditions will probably be ruined when you return in the spring. I use a solar charger which keeps my battery topped off all winter, even in deep snow.

Bobby A

On my previous SOB I kept it plugged in hear in MI for at least 3 winters with no problems in the spring. We would keep the 12 volt light over the stove on to help with the battery keeping a charge.