Outdoor storage and mothballs

OhioJay

My "neighbor" in our outdoor storage lot has moth balls sprinkled around the gravel area under his travel trailer (poor guy...it's not a Heartland!!). My question...Does this help repell rodents? Or is this just wishful thinking?

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
My understanding is the mothballs repel snakes (my Grandmother used them near the entrance ways from garage), not sure about rodents though.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Moth balls works for Coons and squirrels also rats...but remember too much of the smell can be toxic to humans.

airedale

mothballs..

we spread a bunch of bounce sheets around to keep the mice at bay in the winter.....seems to work and sure smells better in the spring......luck

azbound

We have found that Peppermint oil on cotton balls works to keep out the rodents. Worked for 15 years on our House Boat and we have never had any on our RV's.

lwmcguir

A word of caution here. Moth balls to repel Rattle Snakes and Copper heads. Mice and so on as well. You have to be very careful as they are quite potent and a small child may pick up up and put in their mouth. They really shouldn't be placed anywhere a small child or pet could contact them. Most pets will leave them alone however.

OhioJay

Thanks for the responses. The T.T. is stored at a gated facility, with controlled access. No kids or pets in direct contact, unless... I guess what i'm saying is, we wouldn't be doing this in our yard/driveway, and we're reasonably confident that no pets or kids will just "happen by". Being a 100% outdoor facility, I don't suspect fumes would be much of a problem. Thanks again!

caissiel

I use the Moth Balls around my collectors Cars. Put on by each tire. Now I will try Bounce in the trunk, and under the hood might be better smell in the spring.