Cable for satellite and cable TV / Internet connection

I just bought a new Landmark, I have my satellite hooked up but when I switch from the satellite to local antenna I loose my internet connection. I bought a new video distribution switch that has a satellite hook up. I'm not sure how Heartland wired the cable in the trailer. Does anyone have a digagram of their wiring system. I used the same distribution box on my old Dutchman. I had rewired it so I could get satellite signal to both TV's. I used a LeapFrog remote control system to change channels on the satellite reciver from the bedroom. Thanks for any help. Ralph.

jpmorgan37

Ralph;
I don't know if this will help but check out this post. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=514&highlight=cable+connections

John

jbeletti

Hi Ralph and welcome to the forum.

I am assuming that you have a satellite-based Internet connection. I don't have one but my guess is that that the Internet modem is connected "after" the antenna RF switch box.

If this is the case, then you are cutting off the entire satellite feed to all gear when you switch to local antenna.

You may want your satellite Internet installer to move the Internet modem between the dish and the RF switcher. Then you should be set.

Of course, I am making a lot of assumptions with this guidance. Best of luck and let us know how you come out on this.

Jim

Cable wiring

Thank's for the welcome. I don't have satellite internet. Just cable where I'm at right now. I changed the intertainment switch to one with a satellite hook up. I rewired the last trailer I had so I could watch satellite with both TV's. I have a a LeapFrog wireless remote control system. It worked great. Now I want to do the same with this trailer. I may have to try to run a few cables. I'm going to have to research everything before I get knee deep in it. I got to wiring diagram that's what I really needed. Thank you for posting it. Ralph.

jbeletti

Hi Ralph,

In the Landmark, there is a wire that goes from the entertainment cabinet, to the VCR input on the RF switcher in the coat closet. I use that line to route any of my sources to the bedroom TV.

In that it is a single piece of coax, you are limited to routing RF signals over it. As such, I added an inexpensive RF modulator and A/V switcher in the entertainment cabinet. The switcher allows me to route any A/V signal (satellite, DVD, VCR, iPod etc) into the RF modulator. The modulator takes the selected A/V source and creates a TV channel (a radio frequency channel) out of it, then routes it over the VCR line to the Heartland supplied RF switcher in the coat closet. At that point, I press the VCR switch on that switcher for TV2 and I can now watch/listen on the bedroom TV, anything that the main TV can.

I am just trying to point out that if you'd rather not run wires, that there is a way to use that VCR line as it was intended to route other RF sources to the bedroom TV.

Not sure how any of this affects your Internet connection unless you are using Wi-Fi and perhaps your Leap Frog uses the same 2.4 GHz band.

Best of luck to you,

Jim

busted2341

..I gonna tell you that I have had a wineguard video switch box in all three of my last trailers and they worked fine, however I cannot get it to work in the B/H for some reason. It switches the main tv just fine but it does not seems to work for the B/R tv, haven't figureed it out. Wires are hooked up the same but for some reason the B/R tv won't get the signal. I don't know if the original wiring that had to be fixed is wrong or what but i am at wits end with the wiring of this thing.........

BigBlue

BigBlue
It could be that your switch is bad. I found on mine that the cable had been tightened so much that the connector on the switch itself was rotated. That in turn broke the internal connection so the switch didn't work.

busted2341

..After many hours of fraustration, I have determined the B/R cable outlet must be on its own line in from the docking station splitter. That is the only way the thing won't work. I have it working just fine swtiching in the L/R TV so it must be the splitter for the B/R. Maybe when I take it in for all the other little stuff I can get it looked at...

I looked over the cable wiring diagram and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to run a cable to the computer desk in the slide just for the internet. After that I'll be able to get everything to work great. Right now the way I have it wired I can't switch to the local antenna to the main TV. The other two TV's work like I want them to. As soon as I can figure out how to route the cable I think I'll be in busness. Thanks alot. Ralph (KE5DXI)

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hey Busted
Just a quick thought on your problem. When I got my Grand Canyon, the BR tv would not get a signal. After several hours of chasing wires I found that the splitter had been wired wrong. The input was on the output side and a the bedroom rf cable was on the input side. In the Grand Canyon the splitter was located behind the sliding panel where the pump and heater are located. Good luck.

heartshot

I have owned a Heartland LandMark 5th wheel for about a year now. I have a "cable" input jack and a "satellite" input jack in the "outside compartment" where the water, holding tank controls are located.
Inside the camper is a standard power antenna that is located under the TV ....where the TV is pluged in ( has a push button red light ...when the amplified antenna is on)
I have yet to get a satalite input (or cable) to work.
I was told ( by dealer) that all I had to do was plug the satellite input ..into the satellite input jack...change the air/cable selection on the TV to the cable input.... and I was set.
I have tried all I know to do....I have taken a known satellite input (from the house) plugged into everywhere I can think of (cable input jack, sattleite input jack; other jack on the amplified antenna panel) ...nothing.
Any help or suggestions would be greatlly appreciated...and go a long way in easing alot of frustration!
I Thank You in advance.