Ford F250 starter trouble

We have a 06 F250 Superduty with a 6.0 engine. We are having trouble when starting. The glow plug warms up, but the engine won't turn over on the first attempt. On the second attempt the engine starts with no issue.

We've recently changed the oil and filters and oil is at proper level. (I know this is needed for pressure for starting). We've taken it to the dealer they "cannot replicate" the problem. We are still having the problem.

Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ok.. Here is what I had happen to me..
I have a 2006 F250 6.0 PSD. It ran poorly for some time mainly when pulling my trailer. The check engine light came on and it still ran. However the next morning it would not start.. I had it towed to a Ford dealer and they had to run a lot of computer checks until it came up with an error on the Fuel Injector Contorl Module.

Check out the forum on http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f5/ and look for info about the FICM. Also I read about the EGR valve coking up.

BC

truknutt

Committed Member
We have a 06 F250 Superduty with a 6.0 engine. We are having trouble when starting. The glow plug warms up, but the engine won't turn over on the first attempt. On the second attempt the engine starts with no issue.

We've recently changed the oil and filters and oil is at proper level. (I know this is needed for pressure for starting). We've taken it to the dealer they "cannot replicate" the problem. We are still having the problem.

Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions?

Does the problem happen EACH time you try to start it; only when it's cold; only the first start of the day??
It doesn't turn over at all or it just doesn't start on the first try?

Trying to figure why the techs can't replicate the problem. :confused:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On my previous Ford truck (99 F350 7.3L) I would have starting problems, especially in colder weather. It would be hard to start. It would start in warmer weather but not necessarily on the first crank everytime. As new starter solved the problem.

lwmcguir

I have several F250-F550's and they all start great all of the time. However the batteries have to be replaced, terminals cleaned, starters replaced as they wear, and the cables have to be good. The cable that ties the batteries together will age and deteriorate and has to be replaced eventually. It is about $150 or so. All these have to be good for the diesels to start quickly in cold weather. Most of mine don't get plugged in unless it is below 10 degrees. Please post what you finally find out about your starting problems.

Thank you all for your help. We are still having the problem. It tends to happen the first time we start it after it hasn't run for a while. But it always starts on the second turnover. Otherwise, it doesn't matter whether it's warm or colder out. We'll check out the other sites mentioned.

Thanks again.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I also have an 06 F250 6.0 and had problems. It also turned out to be the Fuel Control Module. They replaced it when it would not start at all and we have had no problems since.

lwmcguir

InAny of you folks that have a 7.3 and haven't changed out the fuel heater might want to do so before really cold weather hits. Takes less than an hour and less than 100 dollars if you do it yourself. You will blow a 30 amp fuse when it fails and stops you in your tracks. Can be a real issue. Most of mine failed when backing out of the shop but stopped right in the doorway. Something to consider. The 6.0 engines have the heater on the frame filter and recycle the fuel. If anyone has figured out an easy way to change the frame mounted fuel filter I would like to hear about it.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
On the 06 F250 6.0 Diesels the FICM (Fuel Injector Control Module) and the EGR Valve are two known problem areas..

Have had both changed out on mine. No problems.

BC

bigredtruck

Our '96 F350 is in the shop right now to determine the starter problem. If we plug it in overnight (which is a little ridiculous in Vancouver, BC), there is no problem. But once summer is over, it chugs and chugs but won't start. New batteries didn't help. I will update when DH picks the truck up tonight.