Loss of voltage at desk light

rjr6150

For some reason lost the power to our desk light. Have checked fuses and traced the wiring down the chase to where it enters the belly. Any ideas where there may be a junction box or splice not really crazy about dropping the belly this time of year.

jimtoo

Since your lamp is in the slide, I would look under the slide towards the outside and you will find a junction box. Check the connectors in the box. Be sure your not hooked to power when you start the checking, unless you really know what your doing.

Jim M

rjr6150

Jim
Saw the junction box and didn't check that as I thought it was for 110V this is the 12 volt light.

SmokeyBare

Should be one and maybe two boxes under the slide room for the desk. This is the case with our 3400 RL BigHorn.

One where the electrical wires come through the frame... the wires then travel through a tubular plastic cable shield to another box where they then go through the slide room floor. Look for lose wire nut connections in either of these boxes. Always a good practice to UN-PLUG the 110 Volt Shore Power before working on things...

Last place to check would be at the switch of the light... the switch just may be giving you trouble as well. It's a good idea to have a electrical test meter when doing these checks.

Good Luck !

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well,,,,,,,,,,,I don't mean to sound like a wise guy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but have you checked the bulb? If so, Marv has the right idea to check in the junction boxes and the switch. Likewise, owning a meter is a must when you own one of these rigs.
Let us know what you find to be the problem.

Peace
Dave

rjr6150

Thanks Guys to date this is the list I've went through
Dropped the fixture
ohm-ed out the switch and light for continuity
checked voltage at the light
check for 12 volt at the splice up stream from the light
Will have to crawl back under and look for the low voltage junction box only one I saw was the 110 with the 12 volts wires in their loom going through the frame and into the belly

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about calling Heartland Customer Service for the info on where the 12volt box is located.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
rjr6150, one moe thing to look at if you have not already. Take the four screws that hold the 12 volt fuse panel in and pull it out to check that the wires are securely attached. There have been reports of more than one Heartland owner with a loose wire...............did I just say that? Seriously, check it out. Sounds like you have checked just about everything. Can't be much left.

Peace
Dave

Randy; Hope your electrical problem is fixed. Snowing here in Wyoming, twelve inches last weekend and another twelve inches this weekend. We
will be leaving for Arizona in a couple of weeks.

rjr6150

Randy; Hope your electrical problem is fixed. Snowing here in Wyoming, twelve inches last weekend and another twelve inches this weekend. We
will be leaving for Arizona in a couple of weeks.

Thanks guys now Kathy is really upset hearing your heading south. Were sitting here in NE. CO. with 10" of snow and 18 degree temps. The horn is sttting beside the house as we had planned on one more trip next weekend. Have the heater on and a small ceramic in the basement to keep things thawed. Travel safe of hope to see you at the May rally.