thermostat question

Bobby A

Customer service just send me a replacement thermostat and while disconnecting the wires from the original one I noticed a orange wire that was not connected to anything. Does anyone know what that orange wire is for ?? or was it supposed to be connected to something ?? There was no other terminal for that wire to be connect to that I noticed. Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bobby, if you have a voltmeter, check the orange wire for voltage. IF it's around 7.5, you can tape it up and leave it as is. I had the instructions for the wiring but the images disappeared on me. They did talk about an unused 7.5 Volt wire being there but it's not needed.

Bobby A

Thanks Ray,
I don't have a volt meter handy so I guess thats an unused wire. I haven't had any other posts saying otherwise. Thanks for responding.

SmokeyBare

Bobby,

If you have a thermostat that requires batteries to operate... then you do not need the wire that supplies power from the RV. The RED wire should be the 12 Volt Power for the factory thermostat.

I believe the Orange wire is for the Fan. But Remember there are two fan wires. The HIGH speed of the Fan uses a BLUE wire.

Here is a guide that someone produced to help when changing the Factory thermostat with a Digital type. Maybe this will be some help for your question.

LINK: http://www.rverscorner.com/hunterstat.htm

I changed our Factory Thermostat for one that ( Hunter Brand - Model # 42999B ) came from Walmart. I am one of those who believes the A/C runs best on the HIGH speed Fan setting, So I did not install a separate switch as the above web page suggests. I just attached the Blue wire for the high speed fan... taped off the orange fan wire and the Red 12 Volt wire that supplied the power to the old thermostat. It works great... and we do not worry about bumping the switches as we pass the thermostat now.

Hope this is some help.

Marv

Bobby A

Bobby,

If you have a thermostat that requires batteries to operate... then you do not need the wire that supplies power from the RV. The RED wire should be the 12 Volt Power for the factory thermostat.

I believe the Orange wire is for the Fan. But Remember there are two fan wires. The HIGH speed of the Fan uses a BLUE wire.

Here is a guide that someone produced to help when changing the Factory thermostat with a Digital type. Maybe this will be some help for your question.

I changed our Factory Thermostat for one that ( Hunter Brand - Model # 42999B ) came from Walmart. I am one of those who believes the A/C runs best on the HIGH speed Fan setting, So I did not install a separate switch as the above web page suggests. I just attached the Blue wire for the high speed fan... taped off the orange fan wire and the Red 12 Volt wire that supplied the power to the old thermostat. It works great... and we do not worry about bumping the switches as we pass the thermostat now.

Hope this is some help.

Marv

Thanks Smokeybare.
That does clear up some things for me, especially the digital Hunter from Wallys world. I too was interested in everyone post of that thermostat from Wallys but did not wanna drill a hole and add another switch. I also believe in the a/c works most efficient on HI.

Bobby A

Bobby,

Hope this is some help.

Marv

Smokeybare,
Can you tell me exactly what color wires on the old OEM thermostat where they will go on the Hunter ?? Just incase I decide to go digital. Thank you in advance, maybe just PM me with the info if you don't mind. Thanks again

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, lets try this approach.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Duo therm.jpg
    Duo therm.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 47
  • converted.jpg
    converted.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 44

SmokeyBare

Bobby,

First, after I pulled the cover off the Thermostat I too discovered that Orange Wire you questioned... on my BigHorn it too Was NOT used... it was as the photos will show... Cut Short.

Here's where I put the wires on the Hunter Thermostat. Model # 42999B Note: This Thermostat has a small button labled F this button is for systems that have a Filter Sensor built into their Furnace or A/C. Must be something new Homes have as an option.

You might be able to tell by the photos that I used the same holes of the Factory installed Thermostat. I soon learned that by using those same holes I have a close tolerance issue going on when I close the sliding door for the bedroom. If I leave the left side door on the Thermostat open and then close the door... I'll probably break the Thermostat door. This isn't a problem mosty... but one does need to open that side of the Thermostat when turning on the A/C or the Furnace or when just turning the fan switch from Auto to ON.

Attachments

• IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3422.JPG
    IMG_3422.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3423.JPG
    IMG_3423.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3424.JPG
    IMG_3424.JPG
    526.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3425.JPG
    IMG_3425.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 57
  • wire color placement.jpg
    wire color placement.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 52

Bobby A

O.K. Thanks,

SmokeyBare and cookie for your photos and diagrams, I'll go to Wally world tomorrow and get one and use your photos and diagrams for the install. Thanks so much. I'll probably wait till I get to Fl. in a week or so do the install though, we are heading south on the 20th. Thanks again

Fordsd250

For a few bucks more you can get the programable one from hunter. I have one for the heat and it sure is nice when it comes on at 6 a.m. on those cool mornings. I do not have the AC on this because mine hase the remote for the AC/Heat and I can't firure out how to wire it for the AC. But the heat works great.

Bobby A

For a few bucks more you can get the programable one from hunter. I have one for the heat and it sure is nice when it comes on at 6 a.m. on those cool mornings. I do not have the AC on this because mine hase the remote for the AC/Heat and I can't firure out how to wire it for the AC. But the heat works great.

Thanks for the info