Toilet not holding water

62cwil

I have a new 29' Eagle Ridge and water is seeping down after you run water thru the toilet. When I picked it up in late June that happened and I was told to take something and go around the rubber seal and plastic ball that closes as their may be a burr or something. I did that and everything went well for the remainder of that trip. I have now sat for 2 months and when I picked it up I noticed no water was in the toilet so I turned on the pump and filled it up only to have it drain right down. I again took a flat knife and went around the gasket and the ball but it continues to leak. I tried putting water in all day but it continues and I am leaving on a trip in 8 hours. Anyone have any ideas?

Rrloren

I had same problem and fixed mine by turning off water , depressing the toilet flush handle then depressing the rubber seal by hand.
Hope it helps.

fhollan

Been Brought Up Before!

Do a search and you'll find this issue has been brought up before. Ours has the same problem. When it started I even took a old toothbrush and used it on the seal and ball to no avail. It will probably take a new seal to solve this problem.

geeksrus

Before trying a new seal kit, I suggest you take the toilet apart & then re-seat the seals. Also clean the seals before re-seating.

Eh!

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I also had the problem of not holding water. I would suggest you pull the trim in front of stool on the bottom, held on with Velcro, write down the model number and give Dometic a call. There were some issues with certain models, and they sent me a repair kit and no charge. That solved my issue. Also, the toilet cleaning brush DW bought is a perfect fit for the opening, and when I dump the tank I hold down the pedal and take the cleaning brush and run it around in a circular motion at the top of the opening to clean the groove where flapper fits. I stick the brush about half way into the opening, but be sure the handle is secured tightly to the brush or//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon9.gif Good luck.

talley

I had the same fix as Tom... new seal and it was easier to replace that I had expected. In the meantime... in addition to cleaning, also check the large clamp holding the two halves for tightness. When I first got my BH the tech tighten it a bit and it helped for about six months. Several days fter I replaced the seals I had to tighten the clamp a bit.

Good luck

62cwil

Thanks for all the quick replies. I will call Dometic first thing monday morning. The only problem is I am leaving within the hour and can't call until monday. Anyway, Rrloren, what do you mean by depressing the seal and I will try that. Also, someone mentioned replace and reseat the seal. Do you need to take the toilet apart for that or how did do you do that. Any responses are appreciated as I will get them via my Blackberry and who knows maybe one of them will at least temporarily work.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Smokey started a good thread about this same subject...

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=11582

I also sent to Dometic and got the Toilet upgrade kit..

BC

geeksrus

Yes, to reseat the seals you have to take the toilet apart... same as you would have to do to replace the seals.

Eh!

Rrloren

All I had to do was press down on the seal while I depressed the foot petal. Simply push down on it and wipe around 360 degrees.
Tha Dometic rep told me they test them at the factory upsidedown so that sometimes the seal doesn't get back down tight on the ball. This fix worked for me.

my toilet is also leaking (started yesterday) but its coming from down to up. it starts leaking from where the toilet connects to the floor (the black water tank is definitely not full)
Is this the same problem as what you have - a problem with the seal?
Or should i just go buy some silicon sealant and seal around where the toilet meets the floor?

jnbhobe

Check to see if the toilet is loose. Sounds like a bad toilet to pipe seal. I think its a rubber seal not wax.

the toilet wiggles...its not solidly stuck on the ground. is this abnormal?
ahhh! good thing im going in for warranty service on wednesday, another thing on their to-do list!

ralphpam

We had the same problem and called Sealand. They said to quickly lift your foot off the pedal and let it slam back. It makes you wonder but it has solved the problem.

just an update... several weeks ago i brought my elk ridge into a dealer and they found that my toilet was leaking because only 3 out of the 4 clamps were installed inside. one was hanging loose. he said it was never put on in the first place. so he put it on and now my toilet is working perfectly.

DW_Gray

Oh, it's supposed to hold water? Mine never has since I bought it. I thought that was normal. What now?