2010 Sundance 287RL Winterizing Problem

05Winger

I live in Minnesota and went to winterize the Sundance for the first time with the "Pink Stuff". I got both covers off and switched all the valves. I turned the pump on and went to the kitchen faucet and received nothing. I could hear the pump running and the sound of water running outside. I went outside to find all my RV antifreeze flowing out the city water connection. Isn't there supposed to be a check valve in line to prevent that from happening? It made a mess in the cargo area next to the docking center and I had to go get more anti freeze and a plug to stop the RV antifreeze from flowing out the city water connection. I was able to get the job done once I capped the city water connection. I have never experienced this with any of my TT trailers. Is there suppose to be a check valve in the city water line? Does the trailer need to go back to the dealer for warranty work?

kkamshop

Yes there is a check valve in the city water connection.The plastic ones break on occasion.Good thing is it is a easy fix. Easier to fix yourself than take the trailer to the dealer. Kenny

brunsje

I had the same thing happen when I first got the camper. Had the dealer replace it ONLY to go out that weekend! The next time I had it replaced it was with a BRASS one! The factory got a s***load of bad ones! I did get a hose plug to stop the water until it got fixed!

Yes it made a mess in my basement too, but fortunately for me it was with water from my holding tank!

05Winger

I ran my hand back around to the beginning of the inlet but could not find the check valve to replace it. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. We are predicted to have four inches of snow tomorrow so I guess she won't be clean when I put it away in the shed after it is fixed!

SmokeyBare

Most a any hardware store sells a water shut off valve... they are short and have a ball valve with a 1/4 turn to open and close. These make a good solution to that pesky check valve blowing out of the city water connection.

If that isn't what you want... consider using a simple plastic hose end plug. With a plastic plug in place... once again... No leaks or surprises...

Attachments

• thumbnail.gif
    thumbnail.gif
    18 KB · Views: 27
  • Hose Plug.jpg
    Hose Plug.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 20

05Winger

Thanks for the great pictures!! They really help. I have a plug now. I have just never had this problem before and this is my 8th new trailer. This is my first 5th wheel and really like pulling this much better. I may ask the dealer how much an upgrade to a brass check valve will be and pay the difference. I bought the trailer from Noble RV in Owatonna MN and so far they have been great to work with. It is about an hour drive from my house. It is snowing and the roads are wet and I hate to take my new baby out in the mess. Thanks again for the help.

05Winger

Just came back from Noble RV. They turned me around in 40 minutes and had my city water check valve replaced. The reason I could not find the inline check valve is because it is built into the connection. He showed me the disk and spring that went bad inside. It was nice to see how it works. He also drilled two quarter inch holes in my docking stations to drain the excess water. Saved me the trouble...

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Just came back from Noble RV. They turned me around in 40 minutes and had my city water check valve replaced. The reason I could not find the inline check valve is because it is built into the connection. He showed me the disk and spring that went bad inside. It was nice to see how it works. He also drilled two quarter inch holes in my docking stations to drain the excess water. Saved me the trouble...

Beware the 1/4" drain holes will let water migrate between the floor and the insulation before it drips to the ground.
An easy fix to drill a larger hole and insert 4" of tubing through the hole extending past the outside insulation. I used silicone sealer on the outside of the 1/2" tubing before inserting it through the 9/16 hole.

05Winger

That is a very good point. I will have to do that when the trailer comes out next year. I have it winterized and put away now. It would be hard for me to get at it. I do have some clear tubing that would work very well for your idea. Thank you