Message to all who might be considering a Big Horn

JWG

We bought out Big Horn about three months ago. Shortly after we took delivery I was scheduled to work in Texas for (4) weeks. usually I would stay in a hotel, however this time I thought I would take the Horn and really put it to the test. Living in full time for (1) month...

The trip down was interesting. I was in thunder storms the whole way, but the Horn handled like a champ, wind and all... Had to slam on the brakes once when a guy decided to run across the freeway right in front of me (what was he thinking). But the horn stayed right behind the truck, and while I could feel the weight the stopping distance wasn't too bad...

I had purchased the Pressure Pro before leaving and it proved it's value in the first trip. The alarm went off after about 500 miles indicating one of the trailer tires was low (went from 80 to 62 psi). I discovered the sensor had worked loose allowing some air to escape. My mistake, I didn't follow the directions and use Teflon tape on the threads.

Stayed at the la Hacienda RV Park at Lake Travis near Austin. Great park for big rigs. Everything is new, and the people running it couldn't have been better... Highly recommend it...

OK, so here it is... I lived in this trailer, and I mean lived... Cooked everyday, used all the bathroom facilities everyday, ran the heater and A/C (the weather kept changing), used everything in the entertainment center and kitchen, and all worked without issue. It rained most of the month i was in Austin, but the Horn never leaked... Bottom line: I was comfortable, and could focus on work and a good time...

All in all, the Horn lived up to it's billing as a quality fifth wheel. What a relief after having to deal with our last fifth wheel (not a Heartland) that was one problem after another for three years. Many times we post messages on this site about issues we are experiencing to solicit help. It could give a wrong perception to anyone visiting the site and considering a Heartland product. I wanted to share my experience to show it ain't all bad... Happy to be a member of the Heartland family...

Jim, give the factory a "BIG" thumbs up from me...

Bobby A

Thats a good post, we have to give credit when credit is due. We hear to many negatives, but that is what part of this forum is for, people helping people, its all good !!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I know exactly what you mean...we've lived in our Bighorn for two and half years! We've moved it all around the country, to the tune of over 35,000 miles...has it had some issues yes, but they were resolved...and this unit has held up beautifully! Now with the "bugs" worked out, we like you, couldn't be happier with our choice..wonderful unit, wonderful company!:D

dieselsweetheart

JW, thanks for that positive note about the BH. We love ours too...and it was so nice to read how happy you are with yours! Happy Trails!!!

rick_debbie_gallant

We love our BH also. We could not be more comfortable in it. But Like y'all have mentioned there are a few thinks that need to be addressed. But then this is a house on wheels that sometimes hits 60+ mph and on roads that ain't all that great. We have not left for our winter digs in Texas yet but I would rather be in it than our house. Guess I am getting ready for Texas. Now I have to figure out how to get the sat dish going. got to have those comforts and my FOX NEWS Channel.:D I am just waiting for the day when my DW says we can full time. But that wont happen until the children become self sufficient. In fact we are going to name the BH after our last sailboat, "Li'l Gypsy":).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW the kids will never be self sufficient until you bail out on them forcing it upon them. We know...LOL.

nemo45

Ditto! We have been in our fifthwheel 4 mos. now and only three minor problems that were taken care of by Heartland immediately. Can't wait to get to the valley and enjoy it even more. We love our BH.

Well, we don't own a fiver. We purchased a NorthTrail 32 RED TT Ultra-lite in May. So far, we've travelled over 8.000 miles and the ONLY problem we've had is the black tank sensors don't react very well. That's it.

And, we've been over the Continental Divide with it (four times), up to 8000+ feet in altitude (Colorado, Wyoming and Arizona), to the Rocky Mountains and the Arizona / New Mexico / Texas Desert country. We've been all over the East Coast and up to Wisconsin. Our Grand-kids have slept in it and loved it.

We've withstood winds of 70 MPH plus (Arches National Park) and below freezing temps. We've travelled over some of the NASTIEST roads in the nation. Think I'm kidding? Try driving on the Illinois Turnpike outside Chicago, or up to Gettysburg, PA from Fredericksburg,VA - or worse yet, cross I-40 Eastbound through Oklahoma.

"Big Red" took everything we could throw at it, and she worked like a champ.

This is a GREAT COACH! KUDOS to the factory folks that made it.

J

texbik

I can also say the same thing about my Sundance 2900MK. I picked it up in Elkhart in July and have used it for several long weekends. Almost no problems. Minor things that I corrected myself. However, I spent 2 days going over it with a fine tooth comb before I left out of Elkhart. I was able to tour the Sundance assembly line before I left Elkhart and made it a point to tell as many of the workers as I could that they were doing a terrific job and I really appreciated the quality work I had seen in the trailer. For the people still on the fence on whether to buy a Heartland product, I can say from my experience, that after checking and testing everything, Heartland deserves the kudos I hear on this forum.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I love this thread. Very refreshing!
Here is what I emailed to Bryan (Big Country mgr.) last week...

Bryan;

Just wanted to drop you a note and tell you how pleased we are with our 3250.
We have had heavy rain the last few outings including pulling it over 300 miles in rain to the Fall Rally at Hatteras.
The unit has stayed dry on the inside. Very pleased with who ever installs the seals on the slides at the plant.

imchud

Well, Well, Well.... I sure can't boost about the miles traveled in my B/H because this year we had it on a seasonal site.... But i conclude, other then a few minor issues our 5iver supplied us with a great summer of camping, hands down the best unit i owned...

Tommy

RVFun4Us

We also love our Big Horn!! We can't say enough good things about it! We have stayed in ours for months at a time while Park Hosting and we could not possibly be more comfortable. We have NO complaints about our Big Horn. We had a few minor issues with the Olevia TV and dealer replaced the receiver for us. Those are very minor issues to us. We are still thrilled with our purchase 1 yr ago. You can still catch us sittin' back... looking at that big beautiful RV with a great big grin and stars in our eyes! We did it right!
Thanks for a positive thread!

scotty

:angel: Same here, we've only had our 06 big horn 3400RL since June and have lived in it since day 1. Now starting to get cold at night and I'm listening to the guys unit next to me with his furnace kicking in every 20 or so minutes and all I'm running is the fireplace on low and my furnace kicked on twice (42 Degrees). I've no complaints on Heartland quality.