Second Air Conditioner

Two Hands

I think I really want a second air conditioner in the bedroom. And with Christmas coming I could certainly ask for one. During hot summer outings it is barely liveable in the kitchen/living/dining room areas. But walk up into the bedroom it is actually chilly. So it doesn't seem to make sense to add a second air conditioner in the bedroom because it would only make it colder. Or would it help because more cold air would be pushed out of the bedroom and down into the living areas?

porthole

Retired
I have two and glad I ordered it.

When it is really hot you can use the main AC in the "quick cool" mode and the B/R unit to keep it cool.

cjbearden

Visitor
Two Hands, surprised to read your bedroom is getting so chilly while downstairs stays warm. We have two A/Cs and if we didn't use the bedroom A/C during the hot CA temps, our bedroom will get quite toasty because warm air rises. We arrived in Hemet on 9/21 just in time for some of the 100s days. Both A/Cs were cranking and it was still difficult to cool downstairs. During the day, we sat a fan in the floor of the bedroom facing downstairs in order to send additional cold air downstairs.

Our position in the park has the sun setting on our window side which doesn't help the cooling process. We have not yet purchased the silver insulation that so many folks here use. Now that temps have cooled down, we are enjoying open windows. Our Lady Kitty appreciates that very much also.

We recommend you get the second A/C anyway but also suggest you have your airflow investigated. There may need to be some taping done on any open areas inside the filter cover. Ours had several open areas that required taping and that definitely improved the cooling ability for downstairs. As porthole recommended, sometime we also use the 'quick cool' method on the filter cover so there is a direct down flow of cold air into the kitchen/living room area (useful when cooking).

Note: Several of us use the bedroom A/C as a 'sound filter' so we sleep better at night. Lessens the outside sounds of trains, traffic, barking dogs, etc. CJ

SmokeyBare

Consider first adding a couple more ceiling vents in the Living room - Kitchen area. Could be the system is working hard to cool the RV but because it can't get enough Cold air dumped in the area you want... its not satisfying your needs.

Dometic suggests a minimum of 4 registers for each Run of duct work. Below is their recommendations.

Register Requirements
Number Required Per Run 4 Min.
Register Free Air Area 14.0 Sq. In.
Distance From Duct End 5.0 In. Min. - 8.0 In.
Distance From Elbow 15.0 In.

The cost of a couple registers are not too much... they are not difficult to install... and if it still doesn't improve the cooling in the living room, you can always add the second A/C.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I have two and glad I ordered it.

When it is really hot you can use the main AC in the "quick cool" mode and the B/R unit to keep it cool.

I had a second AC added last month. Best money I ever spent. I've been promising myself another AC, but always put it off.

Not anymore.

Rickhansen

Two Hands, I agree with CJWigley's post. You probably need the second A/C, but you probably have some existing airflow issues that warrant to investigation and "tweaking." You should do some reading of the many posts, particularly about TimK's Tent in the Vent.

The bedroom A/C is ductless so will only add to over-cooling of the bedroom. With what you've described, and two Thermostats set normally, your second A/C wouldn't ever run, right?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I'm a big fan of 2 A/Cs. Not only does it helps cool on hot days but our also has aux. heat which helps take the chill out on very cool mornings. On hot days, I open the diffusers in the big room to direct the cold air into the main living area and have the bedroom A/C to cool the front area. It seems to work real well keeping the whole coach cool even on very hot days. One other advantage of 2 units is to help drown out noise from the outside, especially at night. Makes great sleeping.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Note: Several of us use the bedroom A/C as a 'sound filter' so we sleep better at night. Lessens the outside sounds of trains, traffic, barking dogs, etc. CJ

Hay... Me too....
Would not do without my bedroom AC.. And it does keep a lot of the external noise from disturbing us..

BC

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
You have my vote for the 2nd air as well. This is our second fifthwheel, so we knew we couldn't live without it.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Two hands,
I was looking into a second a/c for the bedroom and realized a large a/c was overkill. With GMC's help (Butch Joyner) we came up with the 9200 BTU Coleman Polar Cub low profile. They sell it pretty cheap at CW and pplmotorhomes. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/low-profile-rv-air-conditioner.htm
I gotta learn how to do those links where you say go to here and its underlined LOL

Anyway, if you are looking for low noise and high power, this a/c may serve your purposes. Since we did the timk tent in the vent, my DW Debbi decided one a/c was good enough for us at least for now.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Another comment...
We have the 13.5 A/C in the bed room. Actually wish we had the 15k in the bedroom. It would help to keep the living room cool on hot days. You can turn the thermostat down when you want to only cool the bedroom but the Penquin we have keeps cycling on and off as it is trying to cool. It is either the compressor or the sensor in the unit kicking it off to soon.. Would like to have the thermostat on the wall rather than in the A/C unit.

BC

2010augusta

Another comment...
We have the 13.5 A/C in the bed room. Actually wish we had the 15k in the bedroom. It would help to keep the living room cool on hot days. You can turn the thermostat down when you want to only cool the bedroom but the Penquin we have keeps cycling on and off as it is trying to cool. It is either the compressor or the sensor in the unit kicking it off to soon.. Would like to have the thermostat on the wall rather than in the A/C unit.

BC

Bob, our Penquin would cycle a lot too, and it has the wall mounted thermostat, but I realized it was because the vents were blowing towards the wall with the T-stat, so I added a down draft vent to the penquin and directed the air away from the T-stat and the rapid cycling stopped. I don't know if it would work with the unit mounted T-stats but it might be worth a shot.

Attachments

• DSCN4476 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4476 (Small).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN4475 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4475 (Small).JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 24

porthole

Retired
Since Alan left off the link for this nifty mod.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=11427&highlight=vent

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The bedroom A/C is ductless so will only add to over-cooling of the bedroom. With what you've described, and two Thermostats set normally, your second A/C wouldn't ever run, right?

I have shut my main AC down and only run it on super hot days. The bedroom unit with the ceiling fan going handles it all.

navyAZ1

We had the Carrier low profile 13,000 btu unit installed in the Bedroom and they cut it into the duct system. So, when it is really hot we use both units then once the has the coach cooled down we turn off the main unit and let the bedroom unit do the cooling, it is a lot less noisey and does a good job once the coach is cooled down. However, during the hot part of the day we sometimes need to turn on both units again.:D

I think I really want a second air conditioner in the bedroom. And with Christmas coming I could certainly ask for one. During hot summer outings it is barely liveable in the kitchen/living/dining room areas. But walk up into the bedroom it is actually chilly. So it doesn't seem to make sense to add a second air conditioner in the bedroom because it would only make it colder. Or would it help because more cold air would be pushed out of the bedroom and down into the living areas?

I love our second AC. Not sure why it's getting colder in your bedroom. The one 15K unit alone in my BH wouldn't do the job when the temps climbed into the upper 80's, and 90's for sure. It was even warmer in the bedroom. I got the second AC and after doing so, I sealed the duct work off just past the two vents in the kitchen that runs to the front (bed and bath) of the coach. I didn’t see any need in getting double cooling in the bedroom.

That closed off 3 vents and leaves 6 vents for the main living quarters. There has been some question as to proper AC function/operation if the proper number of outlets aren't matched correctly with the AC size. I've personally not had any trouble at all, but it would probably be fairly simple to cut a couple of extra vents in, if need be.

After looking into the ducts, I found that the duct work (both front and back) extends far past the last vent openings which didn't make much sense to me...so I sealed them tight at the end vents on the rear of the trailer to better direct the air flow down.

Since doing these things, it has more than doubled my air flow and cooling power (it will blow your hair) in the main living area and kitchen while the bedroom AC keeps it as cold as you want it to be up there. And they will work together too...and real well on those hot humid days.

And sometimes, depending on which direction the trailer is oriented, the sun will beam in through the large picture window in the rear causing things to heat up some. I bought some silver bubble wrap looking insulation at Home Depot to cover the window and lower the shade. I no longer have any cooling issues...nice and cool.

Some people prefer the cooling to come from the main AC at night as the noise from the bedroom AC disturbs them while trying to sleep. I’m right the opposite, It doesn’t bother me and it keeps other surrounding noises (inside or out) from disturbing me. This is the trick I use on our 6-month-old. The least little crack of the floor or the turn of a door knob will wake him. I put an Oreck Air Purifier in his room, set it to high, now he hears nothing, sleeps like a rock, and breaths CLEAN air! ;)

So, yeah, I’d definitely put the second AC on the Christmas wish list.