Warning

Travel I-40 Eastbound at your own risk. This road in Oklahoma is one of the worst I've been on in two months on the road. Use it only as a last resort (and sometimes, you don't have a choice).

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I must agree! I lived in OKC for the past 13 years and it doesn't matter whether you are East or West bound...I-40 is the worst highway I've ever driven. :( The only good stretch on the entire highway is a bridge out east of OKC where a Texas company repaired it - due to a boat knocking it down!

JWG

Yep, I was on that road about two months ago towing the trailer... I thought the same thing, this has to be the worst road I have ever driven on. I kept waiting for a good patch, but in the two hours I was on it I never found one. Bad all the way from Warner to OKC, where I turned north on the 35...

jimtoo

I must agree! I lived in OKC for the past 13 years and it doesn't matter whether you are East or West bound...I-40 is the worst highway I've ever driven. :( The only good stretch on the entire highway is a bridge out east of OKC where a Texas company repaired it - due to a boat knocking it down!

WOW.... that must have been some kinda of high tide for a boat to get that far inland....Must have come from Louisiana.:D

Leave it to TEXAS to fix things right.!!!:D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I-40 Westbound on east outskirts of Shreveport, La is where my axle spring broke. I could only go about 45 on I-40 to keep from beating us up...

cjbearden

Visitor
Two Hands, we second you on the same highways! I-80 was a real bone jarring experience as we made our way from Indiana Rally to Ft. Collins, CO a few months ago. In April 2008, traveling north out of OKC on I-35 is where springs on driver's side broke on former '06 BH 3400RL. I-35 north was no picnic as we traveled into SD. I-10 across LA is right in there with all the bad highways.

Where are all the road funds going? Certainly not on the roads. Seems like art of road building is still archaic. Might as well be in a covered wagon going across the prairie! Hey, we were, we were just not pulling it with horses of the animal variety!!

Take your time out there and travel safe.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Bobcat, I believe that is I-20 at Shreveport, La. I-20 in places is as bad as I-40..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yup.. uhuh.. Yup.. Yure right bsummit.. Thanks... it sure is I-20. Funny how all our interstate highways are worse that our older US highways..

BC

Mariposa

bad I 80

Was on I 80 west bound a couple of week ago, from Reno. Pulled over in truck brake check area, rest areas were closed, to to give our bodies a rest from the shaking. No wonder things brake in the trailer. South bound 99 from Sacto. wasn't much better. Banning some televisions in Calif. is more important than roads.
Bob

nscaler2

Even brand new concrete interstates are a mess. It seems that the contractors nowadays do not have any idea how to lay concrete smoothly. The newer the highway the worse it seems to be. Because of this, we tend to travel the little old state 2 lane highways. Usually they are better and they are less stressful because of their lower speeds. You get to actually see the countryside instead of competing for a space in your own lane.

5erWonk

I agree...I passed through there last year after picking up my new Bighorn in Tenn. We are leaving CA (close runner up for worst roads) next week heading to Missouri and would like to find a route around OK....Any suggestions.

osims

bsims
Grizzlygiant
That road is so bad i would probably take US287 out of Amarillo, go around Dallas and go into Ark on IH30. IMHO
Bill

sharmulst

US 54 from Tucumcari, NM up through Texas and the panhandle of OK into Kansas at Liberal and on east is pretty good. However, it is only a 2 lane road until you get to Kingman, KS. We just came that way the first week of October.
We have also found that your 2 lane roads are much better than the Interstates in regard to rough ride, etc. Traffic is generally light on US 54.