Heartland's Warranty is questionable

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
On Sept 2, 2009, I wrote a 6 month ownership review of the BIGHORN.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=11890

Desert Coach RV in St. George, UT (435-656-2203) said they were on the phone with Heartland and since I have not called Heartland by phone about the SLAM DOORS falling apart, Heartland is questioning the problem with the SLAM DOORS on our unit. WHAT?????:confused: After I wrote the 6 month ownership review in the forum, I was under the impression that the SLAM DOORS were a problem for RV's that were built in the beginning of the year. So if the SLAM DOORS are coming apart on a unit due to poor manufacturing, the SLAM DOORS would be replaced. Now it sounds to me like Heartland wants to have their customers call and scream at them about the faulty SLAM DOORS. Would you please give me a NAME and PHONE NUMBER for the person that wants to hear me scream at them for the faulty SLAM DOORS?

jimtoo

RVerFulltime,

Heartland Customer Service is 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. You should contact them and explain your problem with doors and your dealer. Have your VIN at the time you make the call.

Also, screaming at someone trying to help you will not do you any good. Believe me, I am a retired customer service manager and if someone screamed at me. Well, just let it go at that.

Be nice and good things happen.

Jim M

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
Calling before warranty work performed

Hi Jim!

We are just very baffled that Heartland wants every customer to call them directly with warranty issues. We never had to call GM when we had truck warranty problems. The GM dealer just got the warranty work authorized and did the warranty work. Heartland must have a MASSIVE customer service phone system to want every customer with warranty work to call them before the customer goes to the RV dealer for warranty work.:confused:

Ted & Lori

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ted and Lori, until you have spoken with Heartland to see what the situation is, don't get to wired up. You stated that you have not spoken to them so it is entirely possible that your dealer may not have either. Remember the two sides to every story rule. It would not be the first time that has happened. I experienced that with a dealer (ex) and another brand RV.
Keep us posted.
Peace
Dave

Bobby A

On Sept 2, 2009, I wrote a 6 month ownership review of the BIGHORN.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=11890

Desert Coach RV in St. George, UT (435-656-2203) said they were on the phone with Heartland and since I have not called Heartland by phone about the SLAM DOORS falling apart, Heartland is questioning the problem with the SLAM DOORS on our unit. WHAT?????:confused: After I wrote the 6 month ownership review in the forum, I was under the impression that the SLAM DOORS were a problem for RV's that were built in the beginning of the year. So if the SLAM DOORS are coming apart on a unit due to poor manufacturing, the SLAM DOORS would be replaced. Now it sounds to me like Heartland wants to have their customers call and scream at them about the faulty SLAM DOORS. Would you please give me a NAME and PHONE NUMBER for the person that wants to hear me scream at them for the faulty SLAM DOORS?

Heartlands customer service is absolutly fabulous !! I would rather go through them anyway because by talking to them it is documented and put in your file. Please don't scream, give them a chance, they are very helpful, trust me.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hi Jim!

We are just very baffled that Heartland wants every customer to call them directly with warranty issues. We never had to call GM when we had truck warranty problems. The GM dealer just got the warranty work authorized and did the warranty work. Heartland must have a MASSIVE customer service phone system to want every customer with warranty work to call them before the customer goes to the RV dealer for warranty work.:confused:

Ted & Lori

Well from what I have seen, there are quite a few poor dealers out there and I for one do not have the confidense that the dealer is always telling me the truth. Not saying your dealer is one of them but we frequently hear that Heartland is not aware of customer's concerns or issues when a dealer is involved. I for one would prefer to talk directly with Heartland and go on from there. I believe you will get better service this way. No dealer in the middle and you get the info straight from the horses mouth.

My 2-cents
Mark

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have experienced dealers (not just Heartland dealers but independent dealers) say they have either called or tried to call someone and are waiting for a callback. Then when I have called I get right through without any problem. Is someone lying? I don't know. The last time that happened to me I waited for 5 days for a call from the repair shop. They kept saying they were trying to get a hold of the company that made my converter and could not get them. They told me while I was standing in the repair shop office. I picked up my cell phone while standing there, called the company and instantly go someone. The repair shop was amazed. I told them you have to dial the number to talk to someone. That is why I would rather make the call myself. Then I know it has been done.

Bogger

Heartlands customer service is absolutly fabulous !! I would rather go through them anyway because by talking to them it is documented and put in your file. Please don't scream, give them a chance, they are very helpful, trust me.

A phone call isn't "documented", and their customer service ignores their e-mails as good as the dealer does. You guys need to get your Heartland glasses off and realize this is very common. The old "2 sides to every story" story is getting old.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If "screaming" at the customer service reps is your M.O....don't expect much help!! Heartland's customer service people are exceptional and will do whatever they can to help...as long as you treat them with the same type of respect you desire...JMHO!

jmgratz

Hey Bogger, did you ever get your Elk (Eagle) Ridge? How do you like it? Just wondering. I did not see you were a Heartland owner in your profile nor did I see what Heartland product you own in you signature. Just curious.

Recently discovered soft floors on my 2008 28RLS North Trail. Contacted customer service and they recommended a service dealer in CA to look at the problem. Joe in service contacted (Chris) at Heartland and sent pictures. Heartland agreed to foot the whole bill. I could not be happier.. Great customer service without screaming at them..

Bobby A

A phone call isn't "documented", and their customer service ignores their e-mails as good as the dealer does. You guys need to get your Heartland glasses off and realize this is very common. The old "2 sides to every story" story is getting old.

Sorry dude, but I totally disagree with you, I have only been a Heartland owner for 7 months now and Heartland customer service has come through EVERY TIME !!! Every issue is documented and put in your file, thats why they ask for your VIN., I talk to the same customer service rep EVERY time, he knows me and my coach. I have had other units from other manufactures and their customer service doesn't even come close to Heartland.

fhollan

End of Story!

Well, the end of the story is; Bogger is outnumbered. I haven't had any problems with Heartland. In fact, we were up there a couple of weeks ago. They gave us a tour, and they gave me directions to where parts and customer service was at since I needed a part. Everybody was very courteous. No problems. Treat people the way You want to be treated.

Bogger

Bobby, they may keep track of you to help you through issues, but unless you are recording your phone calls, YOU have no proof that you've talked to them. Can anyone explain why they don't answer e-mails?

Jim, yes, we have an Eagle Ridge and overall like it. We DO have issues though, and they AREN"T being taken care of, by the dealer OR by Heartland.

Delaine and Lindy

Warranty's ???????

I believe all warranty's are questionable! I also believe dealerships are a big issure with the RV industry. What few times we have ever used the warranty I have found you need to talk to the right person and all RV manufactors has such a person. Sometimes its difficult to get in touch with that person. But when you do the first time, be very careful in how you address and or talk to this person. A good relationship with this person is a must. Be preparied to discuss your problem and be able to tell this person about your problem. A must is the Vin number and build date in most cases. Keep records and dates and times and (NAMES), that is very important and keep copies of you E-mails. They in most cases do read e-mails. Heartland take great pains in following the Heartland owners forum. I can assure you if you start by bashing any RV manufactors you might as well get another brand. And we all know that most RV owners don't like to talk about the bad things they encounter in owning a expensive RV. You will have problems, but after the first year you had better be able to repair many of the issue you will have. Also when dealing with dealerships you better also make follow up calls to the manufactor. Sometime dealerships don't make those calls. And don't wait for the manufactors to call you, and most cases it want happen. My hair was very dark when we got our first RV and its very white and gray now :angel:. Good Luck. GBY.......

Bobby A

Bogger,

Sorry you are not getting quality service as any one of us would expect. I can only tell you, I sent an e-mail last night to c/s and had a response this morning when I got on the computer. If I call c/s on the phone I usually get to my rep on the first try. I understand these guys are busy, so if by chance they don't get back to me right away, I know they will. I can only encourage you to call Heartlands main # ask to speak to someone in c/s and who ever they give you to, continue to ask for that person every time you need assistance. For me its establishing a relationship so that rep knows me and my coach.

K

Kevin_Finn

To all:

As a product manager at Heartland RV I would like to expound on some of the questions and comments of this blog.

1) In my 13 years of doing business in the wholesale side of the RV business I have always taken care of customers to the fullest extent that I could, this may come to a surprise but not all instances can be handled to suffice the customer, albeit most cases do, however there are some items that we as a manufacture can not take care of.

2) It is better treating people the way YOU would want to be treated. The people that ask for help or talk about things will always be thought of as 1st priority and probably will be treated more than fairly. Those that start by yelling will always cause the other person to fight back or put a wall up.

3) This may come as another surprise but I have been involved in many cases that you the retail customers have called me and said we are not responding to the dealers calls and emails....guess what.....after further investigation I almost always find out majority of the time we have never recieved a call or email from the dealership.

Finally, I am not saying that our products or customer service is a 100% all of the time, but my and most everyone would say that Heartland truly cares about our customers and treats them VERY fairly. How many other companies have a owners forum and are getting responses from the product managers of different brands?

Heartland has grown extremely fast and that is due to our attention to detail listening to our customers needs as well as taking care of our "family members"!

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Kevin Finn
Product Manager
Bighorn/Landmark

4ever

Heartland customer service has done good by us. I purchased my Bighorn back in April and my orginal dealer went out of buisness. I found another dealer who said would take care of all my issues however, only did a few and then gave me a run around. All through this Hartland has been great. They have now hooked me up with a dealer in Elkheart that will take care of me. I agree with the others give them a chance and the will come through for you.

Ted

jmgratz

Hey Booger, If you sent an E-mail to Heartland and do not get a response in a couple of days why not pick up the phone and call them? Personally, I would call before email because email is sometimes either not received or the person emailed is out for the week. My DW will text someone before calling. I would rather talk so there is no misunderstanding. I find a telephone call works much better. Just document who what where when and why the calls were made. Good luck with your issues. BTW you can always talk to customer service about allowing a non-Heartland dealer doing a repair if a dealer is not available or won't service you.