Montana front landing gear leg problem..

caokgafamily

I know this is the place to post this problem. We just spent the weekend with some friends. They own a 08 Montana 5th wheel. I was trying to beat him to the dump station the last morning. As I pulled past him laughing I could see he was having problems with the Montana's front legs. I pulled over and went back to help. The legs are just like my Bighorns legs, one motor driving both legs. He was able to get it up, then he hooked the truck up. He then went to raise the legs up. The leg opposite of the motor was the only one that would move up. After all the weight was on the truck he went to lock the legs in the up position, the door side worked fine, but the motor side leg was not connected to anything. We ended up just tieing the leg up with a strap to get home. The site he was on was higher in the front, so upon set up he said he lowered the front till it stopped. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Steve

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, friends don't let friends own Montana's. Anyway, If he lowered it till it stopped then he most likely sheared something off. Or stripped some gears in the leg itself. On top of the leg there is a cap that you can pry off and look inside. That might tell you something. Never raise or lower the landing gear till it stops. We normally hear of the off door side stopping, not so much the door side. Let us know what you find out.

Peace
Dave

caokgafamily

He's a rookie, I was on the site next to him and my site also was higher in the front, I run my legs out extra on sites like these. I agree something must have broke when he bottomed out the legs. But what ?

caokgafamily

Thanks Jim. Lippert was very helpful, its either a roll pin or the gear broke. The weakest link is the roll pin. There is a inspection plate that you need to remove on top of the leg.

Thanks everybody..

He's a rookie
Up until you said "He's a rookie" I thought you might be talking about my brother. He has a Montana (not sure of the year) and he had trouble with his landing jacks this weekend. But he ain't a rookie. Been towing 5W for about 30 years - maybe more. He is taking his in to the dealer for repair since they are done using it for the season.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Steve, I dont know what is beyond a senior member.. But you could change it to "OLDER THAN DIRT". Never mind...Jimtoo already has that one already.. :p :D:D