air bags????

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I just bought an 09 BH 3055 and will be towing it with an 05 Chev Extended cab 2500 HD with a Duramax. I am leaning towards putting airbags in the truck for stability and handling. Any recommendations as to the best ones to install? do I need them?

Rick

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Firestones are what I had on my last truck. Served me good for 10 years without problems.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I have the Air Lift 5000 with the onboard compressor on our 2500 HD. Do we need them? No, but it sure is nice to be able to adjust the ride. I would not say they make it more stable. The main thing is they smooth out the bumps on these awesome smooth roads we have in this great country of ours. As far as which brand to buy, Firestone and Air Ride are pretty much identical. Id get whichever set you can get the best price on.

airedale

pressures...

ok you air-baggers.....a question......

with my camper on my dually, i run 100# in my bags.......camper weighs close to 5000# loaded out......truck is a long box, crew-cab, 4x4.......if you were pulling a BH3055 with a genny in the front......what pressure would you run in the bags......???......cheers.....p

truknutt

Committed Member
ok you air-baggers.....a question......

with my camper on my dually, i run 100# in my bags.......camper weighs close to 5000# loaded out......truck is a long box, crew-cab, 4x4.......if you were pulling a BH3055 with a genny in the front......what pressure would you run in the bags......???......cheers.....p

It will depend how much pin weight you will have when fully loaded.

lwmcguir

I adjust my air pressure to make the TV and 5er run nearly level. Never have the box of the truck lower than the front. Creates many problems not to mention the folks that have lights in their eyes on two lane roads.

airedale

fun-fun-fun.....

tnk, folks for the answers.......first the pin weight...got to be thinking 2500 with the genny in there......my next connundrum in probably going to be trying to keep both level....i'm running with a goose neck adapter with a hide-a-ball so i can keep my camper on the deck of the truck bed.....it's a 12" which was the lowest i could get at the time......i asked the factory to jack the unit as high as they could on the axles when they were building but it may still be interesting.....my 3210 cyclone needed a 2" lift to have run level, but just never got around to it.....easy to raise the front by pumping the air-bags....kind of wish that was the issue.....ah well... will find out monday.....
know anyone who wants to swap 10" for a 12" adapter.....?????;)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
airdale, I think that your pin will be much heavier than 2500#. I have no genny and my pin weight is2925#. Others that I have spoken to have pin weights around 3000# as well. But that's all right. I just wanted to let you know that 2500# might be a little light on the estimate.

Peace
Dave

airedale

pin

cookie....you could be rite.....factory says ..dry..1995.....genny is probably...what.....500#....2 batteries.....120#.....2 30# propane tanks.....150#....my wife in the bedroom for an hour packing....4-500#
......i know i missed something........:D

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
measure the hieght of your truck in the front unhooked. Hookup and adjust the air pressure until the truck sits at the same hieght hitched. You may want to add more air sometimes to improve the ride. I doubt that you need to max the bags out at 100 pounds.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Using 75 psi without the bike in the back, 65 with.
45 psi is what I started with, that gave me 2" of drop with the trailer hooked up.
About the same drop "pre 5th wheel and air bags" when using my motorcycle trailer.

My pin weight is 2500, with genset and W/D.

Nice thing about the wireless is it is really easy to adjust on the fly.

lwmcguir

Weighed my Augusta empty and the pin weight was 2500, a bit heavier that the specs show. The only mod was the Fifth AirBorne pin box. And the replaced pin box in the storage near the front wall.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
airdale, I think that your pin will be much heavier than 2500#. I have no genny and my pin weight is2925#. Others that I have spoken to have pin weights around 3000# as well. But that's all right. I just wanted to let you know that 2500# might be a little light on the estimate.

I just want to clarify, that the 2925# is my loaded travalin weight. Which can go up or down some, depending on ??????

Peace
Dave

lwmcguir

I plan on weighing all my axles separately when we get the 5ver back from the shop. Curious as to how the weight is distributed. Currently only have the three axle weights. I am curious to see how much we load into the rig without the generator installed. Then go from there. Rear tires are about 3600 capacity each so have to watch the loading.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
....i'm running with a goose neck adapter with a hide-a-ball so i can keep my camper on the deck of the truck bed.....it's a 12" which was the lowest i could get at the time......i asked the factory to jack the unit as high as they could on the axles when they were building but it may still be interesting.....

If my memory serves me right using a Goose Neck Adapter on the pin box, per Lippert, will void the warranty. I have see at least two Heartland 5ers that had a broken frame due to Goose Neck Adapters..

I use the B&W Turnover Ball with Companion 5th wheel to keep my deck clean.

FWIW...
BC

jimtoo

I have an 04 GMC dually, duramax, crewcab. I have the Firestone Riderights, with on board compressor. I normally run about 30 +- in the bags when towing. Rides great. I gross about 22,500# ready to camp. I also took the overload spring brackets off of the frame to stop the harsh bump. We love the way it rides now.

Jim M