Added an Electric/Gas heater switch

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Our Sundance unit requires the forced air heating be used to keep the storage tanks and piping from freezing. The forced air heating ducts actually keep the underbelly from freezing.

So, when you are paying for electricity at your spot, why wouldn't you heat your RV with an electric heater, and not use up all of your propane? This sounds great, however if it is freezing outside, the underbelly does not get heated that way. Using the propane would use up your supply in very cold weather pretty rapidly. However I have installed a switch that circulates the air throughout the RV with the forced air heating fan, (as in using the regular heater,) however, without using the propane. The air is heated by the electric heater inside the unit. The heat from the electric floor heater is circulated throughout the RV as well as into the underbelly and forced air unit.
I used a Double Pole, Double Throw Switch rated at 20 amp @ 125v. (On/Off/On)
Part # 31504 @ Ace Hardware, and 12' for 12 ga. wire. This type of switch isolates the factory system 100% when using the electric/ fan mode.

Attachments

• GasElec2.JPG
    GasElec2.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 244
  • EleHtDia.jpg
    EleHtDia.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Rickhansen

I added a small 200-watt, 110-volt electric heater with a built in fan and integral thermostat behind the wall in the basement. The thermostat is st to 45 degrees. This particular unit (about 4" x 4" x 4") is made by Hoffman and is designed to be used in electrical/pneumatic control panels to keep the ambient temperature above the low ratings for the components in the panels. I found one of these heaters on eBay for about $25 and installed it as low as possible near the tank drains.

I also used expanding spray foam insulation to seal every nook and cranny I could find. There were several areas where there were several inch gaps. This also keeps mice and other vermin out of the rig.

Below about 25 degrees outside you're almost assuredly going to be running the furnace and electric heat to maintain indoor comfort anyway (despite the 0 - 100 deg. factory rating). The heater provides a little extra insurance for freeze protection.