Front Door Leak

txdds

We just bought our 2009 BC 3500 home yesterday. Storms in CA might have caused rain to come in the front door. The rain was coming down sideways at times. We had a small square piece of carpet that was left by the front door by the dealership. After the storm passed we decided to open the door and check, sure enough the carpet square was soaked. Is there ANY reason why the rain would come inside the 3500? We checked all walls, ceiling openings, carpet and slides....no water. Only large amount of water by the front door. Please help!

B

bwwalczak

Please check the door seals. You are correct in assuming that water SHOULD NOT be coming in.

txdds

Thank you for the quick reply. I was thinking about the seal at the bottom, but I think you are refering to the seals all the way around the door? Would this be a dealership check or do it myself check.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but CampingWorld is a few blocks from my home. We purchased the Big Country in Sacramento about an hours drive. Can warranty work be done at CampingWorld or am I required to take it back to the dealer?

B

bwwalczak

We would prefer to have a dealer look at this, but feel free to check it out.

Call your local Camping World to see if they can service your Big Country.

Also, you will want to get involved with Heartland's service department. The phone number is: 574-262-8030.

txdds

Going into CW on the 28th. It will be interesting to see what they say.
Thanks for the phone number and help.

txdds

CW raised the railing on the floor in front of the door. Said there was a gap. I'll put a towel down just in case and check the next time it rains in CA.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff, one other thing you might check. With are hose and a spray nozzle, squirt some water at the the door window at an upward angle. Mine leaked and ran inside the door. Easy repair. Remove to outer frame and silcone around the glass to the door. Yes we were in Jackson 2 weeks ago when the typhon blew through there. Bob:D

txdds

Wow, I didn't think about that.... I hate the white (yellow now!) front door window edge. I wanted Jeff to replace with a nice black. I can't believe with all the other windows trimmed in black, they put white on the front door. Fix two things at once! Can't really do anything right now because it hasn't rained again, so I cant see if the leak is still there. Thanks for the help.
Debra

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Debra, sure you can. With a water hose and a spray nozzle. Start at the bottom of the door and the door opening and work your way up to the top of the door. It's almost impossible to find a leak by starting at the top. Set the nozzle to about the same setting as a heavy rain (not a hurricane) and have someone inside with a flash light. Spray the water downwards like rain falls. Move up very slowly. Also try spraying the way rain would hit the door area like you are driving. If you find a leak at any point, have the person watching... yell...bang on the door and stop....open the door and look in the area for the cause of the leak. You might be able to find it with a flash light in the dark. Same thing, someone inside. Shine the flash light around the door opening and if there is a gap in the seal and the door. Light will shine thru. Voila, you have found it. Just words of wisdom from a guy that chased water leaks in cars for 45 years. Water leaks are a PITA to find. Bob:D:D