Confused about some specs?

Caseyj

:angel: I found this forum while looking for a smaller camper. I was impressed with the Doubletree Fun Finder, Cruiser RV, Shadow Cruiser and now the Edge. The confusion comes when I visibly look at the interior arrangements. They are all identical. Almost model for model. What's with that? Are they all made by the same company with different names like Chevy and Buick, Ford and Mercury, etc?

In addition, I don't see any specs on the suspension of the Edge. No shocks? No brakes (electric) ? What size tires can you get for the edge? 15" or larger?
Does it take a 2" ball or larger. Does it require anti sway system?

I'm excited about this trailer but there are certain requirements that I need to satisfy prior to a purchase. Thank you very much for responding to my questions.

2010augusta

Here is a link to the Specs for all the Edge Models. As for why all the models have similar floor-plans, it is not because they are all made by the same company. Heartland only makes heartlands and they are are not part of a larger company ownership. The similarities probably comes from a "best use of space" that is common among many manufacturers. Many trailers and fifth-wheels have the same floor-plans as their competitors.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Welcome to our forum. While I cannot directly help you with your questions I can tell you the Edge is a really cool camper. Have you looked at the Heartland website to see the video? Pretty cool. I have seen these in person and I was very impressed.

Good luck with your shopping,
Mark

M

Mcreech

1st let me say that we are not all the same company....the problem is that there is only so much you can do in a 20ft and below TT.....Each company tries to do some thing different....For example the Edge has thermal pane widows, 7ft interior height vs 6'4......front fiberglass cap for easier towing and better fuel milage, LED tail lights and it general lighter then the competition...Also the Edge has a leaf spring suspension and 14" Tires with electric brakes on all tires....

I hope this helps

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
No...they are not all made by the same company...you can only lay things out so many ways in a small space, therefore, most manufacturers have the same floorplans. It's as simple as that...

gerrym51

:angel: I found this forum while looking for a smaller camper. I was impressed with the Doubletree Fun Finder, Cruiser RV, Shadow Cruiser and now the Edge. The confusion comes when I visibly look at the interior arrangements. They are all identical. Almost model for model. What's with that? Are they all made by the same company with different names like Chevy and Buick, Ford and Mercury, etc?

In addition, I don't see any specs on the suspension of the Edge. No shocks? No brakes (electric) ? What size tires can you get for the edge? 15" or larger?
Does it take a 2" ball or larger. Does it require anti sway system?

I'm excited about this trailer but there are certain requirements that I need to satisfy prior to a purchase. Thank you very much for responding to my questions.

sway control can depend on what your towing with.
in general a smaller lighter trailer will be able to get away without sway
control if properly loaded and big enough tow vehicle.

a smaller lighter vehicle may need some help.

tell us what you will be towing with.\\

gerry

DMitch

In my opinion I would not tow any 20ft travel trailer without sway control. It only takes one incident or mistake and you could really have a very serious problem. It's deffinately a safety item. I would imagine that a 230ft travel trailer would weigh atleast 4,000 lbs. and thats a lot of weight if it gets the wrong type of momentum.

Just my opinion. Hope you enjoy whatever you wind up with. I am a Heartland owner and am very satisfied with thier product.

Caseyj

Thank you for all of your responses. I guess it is up to me to make a decision on what trailer will best suit my purposes. I was worried about the suspension and tire size as I intend to camp/fish back into the National Forests of Michigan. I am also looking at vintage trailers as their design is similar to what is on the market today minus amenities.

I have full timed and part timed now for going on 40 years so I feel that I am comfortable with the knowledge of rv's and their characteristics. I currently have a 28', 5ver that I will be selling at a substantial loss and down sizing to something smaller. I'm just getting older (71) and the traffic situation around major cities is becoming a real challenge.

Oh, I almost forgot. I have a 3/4 diesel truck that is my tow vehicle. Yes, I know it would stop most trailers but if you've ever had experience with a trailer breaking into a severe sway, you can control it with electric brakes.

What I was hoping to see was a structural pictorial showing how the trailer is constructed. However, I am not that far from Elkhart so I may take a day trip and check them out.

Again, thank you for your responses.

lwmcguir

Check out the Heartland website. There are videos of the construction you can down load or view on line.

Caseyj

I went back and found the video and was impressed with the fact that the narrator stated that there is no wood at all in the trailer construction and that the floor was laminated. I have since than received an internet price of $**** for the 2010. I haven't gone any further yet as I want to do a factory visit and discuss my trade and with winter coming, there's plenty of time.

Last edited by a moderator: