More kitchen pantry storage

texbik

The 2900MK kitchen pantry cabinet in the newer models have two drawers instead of shelves in the lower cabinet. These are handy, but they are not very efficient. The drawers are 16" long and the cabinet is 24" deep. I looked at the interior of the cabinet and decided that if the drawers were as deep as the cabinet, you could gain 8" of extra storage space in each drawer. Since I have a woodshop, I built two new drawers that were the same height and width, but were 24" long. I went to Home Depot and bought 2 new 24" full extension drawer guides (the ones from HD were the same brand as Heartland had used!). The 16" guides were unscrewed and the 24" ones screwed into the same position. Waalaa--lots more storage. The old drawers and guides didn't go to waste. One of the old 16" drawers I moved down to the bottom of the cabinet, under the new long drawers. There is an electrical junction box on the floor at the back of the cabinet, so you can only fit a 16" drawer on the bottom. I also had to relocate the bottom cabinet door latch up on the face frame about 2 1/2" so the bottom drawer would clear it. The last 16" leftover drawer I used as a tray in one of the upper shelves so you could pull it out and get to the things easier in the back of the cabinet. When all was finished, I had one of the original 16" drawer guides left over, but that will eventually find a home in some other project. Picture 1-before. Picture 2-new drawers before stain and finish. Picture 3-Drawer guides installed. Door catch has been moved up. Picture 4-New drawers retracted. Picture 5- New drawers extended. Original drawer on the bottom.

Attachments

• 101_0388.JPG
    101_0388.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 302
  • 101_0384.JPG
    101_0384.JPG
    535 KB · Views: 293
  • 101_0389.JPG
    101_0389.JPG
    492.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 101_0391.JPG
    101_0391.JPG
    470.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 101_0393.JPG
    101_0393.JPG
    468.1 KB · Views: 292

05Winger

I really like what you have done there.... I had better not let the wife see that one. I don't have your skill level with the wood shelving.

smday

Looks great. I would replace the original drawer though. Yours look way better than that white board they used.

MC9

I like. I will extend my sliders also. I shuffled drawers around so we could have a good size waste basket. Good idea keeping the slide in so there is less floor to clean.//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

Duramax1

I removed the sliding drawers & installed the pull out pantry

4.jpg

Stinger381

I like this mod .... I'll have to see if my cabinets are the same depth in my 3300 RLB. How much do you charge for the drawers ??? LOL