Spring or Fall?

mnbstack

My husband and I want to take another trip west (we did it before but always in the heat of the summer) but can't decide which time of the year would be best for traveling. We both want to do it when kids are in school and campgrounds might be less crowded. We want to include in our trip visits to several National Parks such as Bandolier, in New Mexico, Bryce and Zion Canyon, Rocky Mountain National Park. Yellowstone and possibly Yosemite. Our thoughts are to leave Murphy, NC on or about May 2nd. The other option would be leaving sometime like September 1st. What are your thoughts about which time frame?

jimtoo

I would recommend the spring trip. Not much chance of freezing weather or early snows, see the spring flowers everywhere.

Jim M

moose53

What month?

We left New York on August 30th. The weather in the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Oregon and Yosemite was fine. I can not imagine what it must be like at the National Parks during the summer season. I though they were pretty crowded in late September. We are now in Mississippi and have yet to make a reservation to stay at a campground other than Yellowstone when we called one day ahead to stay at Fishing Bridge. You can check out our trip at www.mytripjournal.com/eaton

Harvey and Jan

Clark

We took a trip around in 2007 and left in mid-April. Had to dodge south to Louisiana because of a major snowstorm in the midwest at that time.
A blog of the trip and places to see can be found at:
http://foldentrek.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

Am planning another trip to different areas out west next year and plan to leave in mid-May this time. We will try to hit the middle and see the NP/NM in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada.
Clark

truknutt

Committed Member
We left New York on August 30th. The weather in the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Oregon and Yosemite was fine. I can not imagine what it must be like at the National Parks during the summer season. I though they were pretty crowded in late September. We are now in Mississippi and have yet to make a reservation to stay at a campground other than Yellowstone when we called one day ahead to stay at Fishing Bridge. You can check out our trip at www.mytripjournal.com/eaton

Harvey and Jan

Wow you two; that is a fantastic travel journal! I see you are from Beaver Falls...missing that Croghan Bologna yet?

I was raised in the Cicero-Brewerton area and the family has a place up on Cranberry Lake.

Do you think you'll make it home before the snow flies? Better step on it!

Be safe and enjoy your journey.

moose53

truknutt,

Yes I miss Croghan Bologna! Would love a piece right now. It is suppose to snow in Beaver Falls tomorrow and I surely won't be home to see it happen. I don't miss the cold or the white stuff and will get my share this winter.

Harvey

2010augusta

It is really a toss up, in spring you have a very likely chance of snow keeping some parts of the parks closed esp. rocky mountian and yosemite (tioga road), but the flowers, waterfalls and snow make things very scenic. On the other hand in the fall all parts of the parks will be open, but you will have fewer flowers and waterfalls will dry up.

We did a northwest park trip in mid June of 2008. we went to the following parks:
Canyonland (great weather)
Glacier (didn't make it because of blizard)
Craters of the Moon (cool and very windy)
Crater Lake (great views, but only 1 out of 33 miles of rim road open because of 10' of snow still)
Columbia River (nice)
Mount St. Helens (cool and fogged in)
Mount Rainier (very good views, but many roads closed due to snow still)
North Cascades (open and great pictures)
Glaicer again (east and west sides open but going to the sun road is closed and the moring weather is very cold)
Yellowstone (no problems)
Tetons (cold and very pretty with all the snow).

Do not under estimate how long the snow in the high mountians of the west will last. Many mountian passes do not open untill the middle of july. So play it safe and do a spring and fall trips:D:D:D.

charliehorse

opinions ...everyone has one ..I vote fall - arrive at first destination day after Labor Day - start from the north and work south. ...Yellowstone and mtn parks are clear/dry/colorful... Alot of crowds have left. Also, I believe you have more animal viewing opportuities in the fall. Downside - campgrounds can be "beat up" from summer use. In the spring its hard to judge 'the arrival date of spring and you have a better chance of "unsettled weather. Balancing out the flowers are spring rains and snow run off leaving mud on driveways/ walkway, trails and etc. Importantant thing is GO ! !

mnbstack

Oh my! Now we really do have some things to think about! I just know that when we went in July and August, it was just so hot especially in the southwest. We're both excited about planning the trip so we thank you all for your suggestions.

lhetsler

Fall

I would vote for the fall. We went in July and there was still snow in some of the north western parts. Now it wasn't a problem, because the roads were clear, but the paths had snow in some places, so I am thinking depending on how early in the spring you go, it might be something to think about. Spring does bring some beautiful wildflower blooms.