Share the Road

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
A few mornings ago, I was making a trip to the dump with one of our trailers. The drive is on small country back road which is usually very enjoyable.
I came around a bend in the road and.....WHOA, hit the brakes hard, about a dozen bicyclists in the MIDDLE of the road just pedaling away.
Once I got past them, I started thinking about what they did that morning to get ready for their ride...

For their health, they put on $300 worth of spandex pants and shirts.
For their health, they put on their pointy little helmet.
For their health, they strapped on their $200 sports watch that can monitor heartbeat, breathing, body fat and how many times they said the words Big Mac..
For their health, they mounted their $1000 custom made alloy bike.
For their health, they got together with all their friends and decided to ride down the middle of a 55mph road...
For their health, they decided the road belonged to them.

I guess "share the road" only applies to everyone else.
For their health....They do not have "share the road"with anyone.

geeksrus

A few mornings ago, I was making a trip to the dump with one of our trailers. The drive is on small country back road which is usually very enjoyable.
I came around a bend in the road and.....WHOA, hit the brakes hard, about a dozen bicyclists in the MIDDLE of the road just pedaling away.
Once I got past them, I started thinking about what they did that morning to get ready for their ride...

For their health, they strapped on their $200 sports watch that can monitor heartbeat, breathing, body fat and how many times they said the words Big Mac..
For their health, they got together with all their friends and decided to ride down the middle of a 55mph road...

Having a bad hair day?

EH!

2010augusta

Larry, So true. I have done my share of cycling, but I tried to stay on bike trails and bike lanes. I realized the roads are for cars and trails are for bikes. I have never understood why cyclists would want to ride on a highway a be passed by cars and trucks going 55-65 mph. I once had to drive over Monarch Pass in Colorado as about 400 cyclists tried to ride over the pass. That created some havoc on the highway.

Taz Devil

On that same line of thought, The wife and I were coming back last week end from spending some time in Orlando. We like to stop at the Cracker Barrells for lunch and dinner. We pulled into the Cracker Barrell on I-4 just east of I-75 near Lazy Dayz RV sales, went to where the RV/Bus parking was located an it was full of cars and trucks. Not one RV/Bus. So I pulled along in front of them and ran inside to see how long the wait was going to be. When I came some young girl asked when I was going to move. I told her in a few minutes, since I can't park here where the RV/Bus parking is. She stated to me,"you people just think you can park any where and do anything you want, don't you?" I replied nicely back and said, "No but you sure do. I wouldn't have to stop here if the spots that were assigned for RVs/Busse were available." This is not the first time we have pulled into a cracker barrel and seen them full of cars and p/u trucks. We have even gone to the managers and have spoken with them and they just don't care. So the next time we pull into any Cracker Barrell and we have the 5er and there are no place for us to park, we will continue down the road.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Alan and Kevin,
You guys got my point right on. In the cyclists case-the most important thing they could have to ensure good health is common sense-which got left at home.

On the bigger picture, common courtesy and sense is quickly leaving our roadways and every other aspect of our society...or am I just getting older?

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
On the bigger picture, common courtesy and sense is quickly leaving our roadways [/quote]

Larry, I didn't know you had been to Jersey lately!

lhetsler

joggers

I have a similar experience on a country road in southern Ohio. There were about 40 to 50 highschool kids jogging. I came around a corner and nearly had a cow towing my 15,000 lbs and kids all over the road. Apparently the PE class was have an outdoor jog as many shirts gave the name of their high school. What are teachers thinking. I would have them running laps around the field. Have learned expect anything.

Mariposa

Cracker Barrel

Taz Devil
We share the same thoughts about Cracker Barrels.
When traveling we try to stop about 1400 hours for lunch. That way we miss the lunch group and it is too early to the dinner ones. The parking stalls marked BUS/RV are only about 50' long and I fine them too short for truck and trailer. I look out in back and park out the the way, if I can. When we driving through the parking lot and find no parking we just head on down the road. For being RV friendly I find the streets narrow and traffic is a mess, and there can be some really sharp turns. The Food is Good and service is too.
There are none of the west coast.
Bob

Bobby A

Very well said, I have been complaining to myself about this for years, its nice to know that its not only me that gets anoid by this.

deee2

hey, let me vent too! I ride a lot, at least 20 miles every other day... and today was riding on a bike/walk way with signs EVERY WHERE saying to be courteous and to share the road... three people walking side by side would not budge, meaning I have to leave the path onto soft dirt... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR DH says it's time to give them the 'elbow' as we pass! LOL Today, I did say "lets share the road please". But I didn't WANT to be polite! LOL

I am a polite rider, so expect others to be the same. But it seems when an accident happens, those are the first ones to blame others! Rant and rave! :) Comon folks, BE NICE out there! :)

buckeyebob

we were driving into yellowstone np in2006 using east gate(from cody),after all the rough road due to construction we finnally were able to get up to speed limit,when the 2 motothomes in front of me slowed to a crawl!!!!!!for several miles we crawled and finally on a curve i was able to see the bicycle loaded with 4 packs riding down the middle of the road!!!!WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!my other favorite is when an oncoming motorist decides its his moral responsibility to go WAY LEFT OF CENTER to give the biker in the bike lane and not IN THE ROAD a real good safety margin.never mind that its on a curve and i am pulling 32 feet of trailer and now he is gonna hit me head on!!!!!it doesnt help that i drive a senior citizen /mrdd bus all day in cedar point (sandusky ohio)traffic!!at the end of a summer day i have seen the ugly side of people.thanks for the venting opportunity,o yea the guy who just put his treestand 75 feet from mine i dont like him either buckeyebob

Ernie & Lettie

A few years back they had the tour de tucson here ,and I went to wallyworld, 1/2 mile from the house, when I came out the bikes were in the area and it took me 45 minutes and 5 miles out of my way to get home. Here in tucson there are signs that say give the bikes 5 feet well, If you give them 5 feet then you will be in theother lane. Sometimes I think the people here that make up the rules have been standing in the sun to long without a hat. Ernie & Lettie

nhunter

hey, let me vent too! I ride a lot, at least 20 miles every other day... and today was riding on a bike/walk way with signs EVERY WHERE saying to be courteous and to share the road... three people walking side by side would not budge, meaning I have to leave the path onto soft dirt... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR DH says it's time to give them the 'elbow' as we pass! LOL Today, I did say "lets share the road please". But I didn't WANT to be polite! LOL

I am a polite rider, so expect others to be the same. But it seems when an accident happens, those are the first ones to blame others! Rant and rave! :) Comon folks, BE NICE out there! :)
I run quite a bit and "run" into the same problem. Sometimes the shoulder slips and with th Ipod you cant even hear the cuss words!