fireflipper

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Hi Scott
I wanted to check with you and see if you can give me any info on the circuit breaker for the hydraulic jacks. Mine keeps poping while trying to raise the front of the trailer. Butch changed the breaker, and the same thing happened after a few days. He said that I may need to increase the size of the breaker to a forty amp, or could the wiring have a problem or be to small to handle the load. Also has any one else run into this problem.

Thanks Glenn

jpmorgan37

Hi Glenn;
I'm not trying to interrupt on your asking Scott, but did you put an amp meter on the battery to check current draw to see if was actually over 30 amps? No, I haven't had the problem. I did have some loose connections at my breaker panel which can cause the same thing. Also a loose connection at the battery disconnect switch and at the battery can do it too.

John

v92c

Texan
From an electrical standpoint, I believe that installing a larger breaker could mask a real problem. If it is popping the breaker, then it is drawing too much current.

Scott

I don't know about the circuit's popping except to say that it typically is a sign of low battery power.
On early coaches, we had the manually reset breakers with little tiny buttons on top. We then switched to automatic reset breakers. If you have the manuals, it would probably eliminate the problem if you switched to automatic.
There is a breaker in the hydraulic motor, as well as the one that we install on the coach. Odds are that it is the breaker we installed and it just needs to be replaced.

ChopperBill

fireflipper said:
Hi Scott
I wanted to check with you and see if you can give me any info on the circuit breaker for the hydraulic jacks. Mine keeps poping while trying to raise the front of the trailer. Butch changed the breaker, and the same thing happened after a few days. He said that I may need to increase the size of the breaker to a forty amp, or could the wiring have a problem or be to small to handle the load. Also has any one else run into this problem.

Thanks Glenn

Mine did it too when I first brought it home and then again when I picked it up at the storage lot to take to the dealer. Batteries were fully charged. Do you think it would do it at the dealers lot? NOooo!

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Thanks for the help guys.

I will have Butch get me the new style breakers, mine are the old manual reset ones. Hope this works.

Trap

Fireflipper let us know if this works. It's good ingo to have handy. I'm gonna a good size detail book by the time I get to order. That's what I like about this site.

Trap;)

Jack Sims

My 2006 Grand Canyon is in the shop and the popping breaker issue while raising the front of the unit is one thing they are looking at. I have three banks (one 12 volt and 2 banks of 6 volt hooked in series all with marine type battery selectors as well as the two batteries available from my tow vehicle--all maintained at full charge). According to the Lippert's electrical schematic of this system, the breaker is an automatic resetting 50 amp breaker. It still pops when using all available 12 volts. The dealer notified me today thay they are changing out the hydraulic pump that has been re-designed.