Lefty's Road Kill Chill -- Texas Style No D****d Beans!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Found this one on the web the other day...only problem is that this is my long lost recipe from my old BBS. The clown had ripped it directly from my old webpage and had not changed anything on it...down to the spinning armadillos bracketing the recipe. I got the dudes IP address and I won't forget he wanted to use Zinfandel wine in it...(gag)...wine removed and an extra beer added for more fortitude.

So, here it is digitally remastered and in Dolby 5.1 surround sound. The one, the only, often copied but never duplicated:

Lefty's Roadkill Chilli..or just known as Roadkill among chilli folks.

4 lbs. fresh road-kill or substitute meat
1 tsp. black pepper
2 beers dark
1-3 tsps. oregano
2 Jalapeno peppers (chopped)
1 tbsp. cumin powder
2-4 tbsps. chili powder * *
1 tbsp. salt
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 16 oz. can Cantadina tomato sauce or any Mexican Style tomato you want
1 tbsp. finely chopped green onions
1 tbsp finely chopped bell pepper
1 or more VERY LARGE ONIONS

* * The chili powder is the key ingredient, so your choice of chili powder will significantly affect the flavor & fire of your chili. I've got Barilla's, California and New Mexico chilli powder and each one tastes different. You can even make you own if you wish. (Recipe at bottom)

Grind up 4 pounds of fresh road-kill.

(Note: sometimes, due to the condition of the road-kill, grinding up may not be necessary).

Just about anything is acceptable (armadillo, rabbit, possum, chicken, moose or caribou, if you got it, I'm serious here!), but stay away from skunks since they smell funny and may have a negative effect on the final result.

If you live in an area where there's not much highway traffic, or where
urbanization has scared off all the critters and your neighbors keep their pets indoors, then you can use the following 4.75 pounds meat as a substitute:

2 lbs. ground beef (chili grind)
1 lb. venison (chili grind) .. pork is ok
1 lb. ground Italian sausage
12 oz. Mexican chorrizo sausage

--OR--

I prefer to use a 5 pound chuck roast cut up into bite sized pieces.

Mix all the meat in a large kettle.

If using the "substitute" ingredients above, then cut open the chorrizo wrapping and squeeze out the contents into the mixture of other meats.

Brown the meat, stirring occasionally to mix well.

Once the meat has browned, add the tomato sauce, beer and all of the seasonings.

I think it might be a good idea at this early juncture to use only half of the
chili pepper and oregano and reserve the rest until later so that you can season to your taste.

Cook over low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook covered for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.

Sample for taste, increase seasoning as desired, and cook on low for another hour, stirring occasionally.

Sample again and add additional cumin, chili pepper, oregano, Jalapenos or critters to suit your taste; turn off heat and place in the refrigerator over night. Reheat on the following day and serve.

For an especially tasty presentation,serve up in bowls and sprinkle the top with chopped white onions and shredded Monterrey Jack and cheddar cheeses.

Feeds 6 to 8.

Remember nothing here is graven in stone. Add or leave out any ingredient you don't like. You'll find out pretty quickly which ones work for you.

Corn bread or Corn Bread Muffins go along mighty fine with this dish.

Home-made Chilli Powder

1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons garlic powder

Mix together. Store in covered container for up to 6 months.