Generators

PUG

Pug
Generator surging and not starting-fixed

I have a Onan 5500 Gold Marquis in my 3950. The unit is 1 1/2 yrs old and has always started fine and ran fine but I don't use it a lot. We haven't been on the road since May but I have gone out and started it a few times. Went out a few days ago and it would not start so I primed it and got it running but it was surging with or without load. I drained the gas and tried again. No go. I talked to Onan and they said it sounded like the ethanol in the gas had plugged the guts up in the carb. They suggested putting in Seagoam carb cleaner in the gas and to stay away from ethanol gas. The new gas I put in was purchased at Phillips 66 which here anyway does not have ethanol. I pulled the carb and poured Seafoam directly into the float bowl and put some mixed with gas in a spray bottle. i started the motor and got it running but it still was surging. I took the carb apart and blew the jets and carb out. Still not running good. As a last resort before taking it to Onan service, I removed the carb again, dismantled it entirely and soaked all of the parts in carb cleaner ( bucket with basket dipped in) and let is soak for 24 hours. This morning I reassembled the carb after blowing out etc. and it is running fine now.

The carb cleaner did its job. I have been told by motorcycle shops and four wheeler shops that the ethanol in the gas has been raising havoc with carbs. I have had to boil out the carb on my dirt bike because of this crap. My Yamaha dealer (four wheeler and dirt bike) advised buying non ethanol gas, always put in Sta Bil in the gas if it is going to set a little, and they highly recommended a ethanol neutralizing additive that they sell. They also suggested the Seagoam carb cleaner to be run.

The Onan service people were going to sell me a new carburator and with labor was going to cost me around $300. They don't like to boil carbs apparently.

Here is my recommendation unless you like to pull carbs and dismantle them.

Buy non-ethanol gas for your generator and toys.

Run Sta Bill in the gas tank.

Run Seagoam in the gas tank.

Start the generator at least every other week and run it under load for at least a half hour.

If you can't get straight gas get an additive to combat the ethanol.

My local Schucks parts store also suggested Seafoam and they sell ethanol additives also. I saw where Stabil is now making an ethanol additive but I haven't heard any reports on it.

Good luck.

lwmcguir

Great info regarding the gas Had problems with a Tecumseh engine on a gen set last year. sure could have been the same issue Thanks

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Does the standard 30 amp RV fit? And how do you hook it up? Wheel it around to where the input power cable is?
I have the Boliy also...the RV's factory 30a plug connects to the generator without an adapter. I mounted my Generator solid to the rear bumper.

Attachments

• genMount2.jpg
    genMount2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 70
  • genMount.jpg
    genMount.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 50

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Does the standard 30 amp RV fit? And how do you hook it up? Wheel it around to where the input power cable is?
lefty, the unit weighs in at 68#. Not too difficult for the "average" guy to tote to the back of the rig. Yes, it does have a 30 amp RV female receptacle. When and if I need to use it I think I'll try leaving it in the back of the truck. At least until I buy an alarmed cable lock of some sort.