Surge Protector and Wheel Choks

Elder1

Hi folks
2 questions: 1) surge protector? where do you place this?
2) Not sure what a roto-chocks are and where do I find them?

Thanks

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I think it depends on what type of surge protector you purchase. I purchased a electrical monitoring system that is portable. I plug it into the pedestal, turn the power on and it runs a check of all systems. I then turn the power off, plug in my power chord, turn power back on and I am all set. Mine ran about $275 from Tweetys on line. Cookie has the same unit I have, but he has it direct wired into the coach. The system is made by Progressive. I also have Roto chocks and like then. They help stabilize my coach. Fit between the tires and are easy to put in and remove. There the first thing I put in and the last thing I take out. The coast is about $120 per pair. Happy camping.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I plug our surge protector to the pedestal and then plug the RV plug into the sp. Some people hard wire their surge protector into their rig. Just depends on which style you like.

The roto-chocks are a device that you put between your tires when parked to keep the rv from moving back and forth. It helps prevent the bouncing you feel inside the rig. BTW Roto-Chocks is a brand name. They are very good but there are many styles of that type of stabalizer. You buy Roto-Chocks online. http://www.rotochok.com/

2010augusta

Ours is hard wired and mount in the basement next to the transfer switch and a display is mounted next to the tank level monitor.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just a thought..
If you use the portable everyone says it can be stolen. Yes that is possible.
If you lock the portable someone can cut the cable or take the entire cable unless your using the reel so were back to cutting.. So what's the use.

You can hardwire one inside. Good and would be hard to steal. Good point.
If it is hardwired inside and it is damaged while protecting your coach you have to go in and replace it. Acceptable.
If you have a very large fault and it protects your coach but burns up along with your coach. Bummer..

So like all other choices ... some are a crap shoot...

That's my thoughts...
BC

SilverRhino

Electrical Protection

Just a thought..
If you lock the portable someone can cut the cable or take the entire cable unless your using the reel so were back to cutting.. So what's the use.

If it is hardwired inside and it is damaged while protecting your coach you have to go in and replace it. Acceptable.
If you have a very large fault and it protects your coach but burns up along with your coach. Bummer..

That's my thoughts...
BC

I too have been trying to decide between the portable and hard wired.......thought I had made up my mind to go hard wire until I saw your comment! Do you know of something like this happening?? I know nothing is fool proof.......but now you have me thinking that portable might be "safer" in the long run!

Out of curiosity......which do you use ?

Thanks for the fuel for thought.

Travel Safe!

goodtruck

I use the portable one and think that if someone really needs it bad enough to take it then what the he##.As far as the rotochock I could not hookup or drop our unit without them (I pull the fifth wheel with a class 8 truck) I really like them.If I remember right I got mine at camping world for around 50 bucks each.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I too have been trying to decide between the portable and hard wired.......thought I had made up my mind to go hard wire until I saw your comment! Do you know of something like this happening?? I know nothing is fool proof.......but now you have me thinking that portable might be "safer" in the long run!

Out of curiosity......which do you use ?

Agreed, nothing is fool proof. I was talking to someone just recently and they talked about their portable was hit with a surge from a ligtning storm and it burned up the supressor. He took it to a dealer at a rally and they gave him a new one.

The odds are slim that you will get that severe of a surge. But you did,... which would rather have?

I have been fulltiming for over two years now... (2 years, and 11 days... Wah Hooo..) and still have mine and I see a number of others that have the portable and they must be doing good also.

It is all what you want. If I were going to get one today I would be looking for the one that has a read out. I like the one that Jerry and Diane Talley have. He mounted the read out in the steps so as you enter the coach you can see the read out before you get back in...

BC

jmgratz

We have had our portable Progressive Industries 50-EMS and have never had a problem with theft. Let's face it everybody has a key to the basement anyway so putting it inside is no guarantee either. Most of the time we lock it with a bicycle cable lock. We have been using our for over 7 years. I like the portable one because it is a pain to back into a site, plug in only to find the pedestal has a problem. With the portable one you can check the pedestal before backing in and if there is a problem move to another. MHO

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jim
How long does your Progressive take to check out the shore power.
Mine takes up to 2.5 minutes to trip in due to the delay for the A/C.

I have never plugged into a bad shore power.. Have you?

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Before we get all worked up and succumb to scare stories, this subject came up before. So I e-mailed Progressive and got the attached reply. Mine is installed just behind the basement wall, so I can get to it if I really needed to.

Last edited by a moderator:

2010augusta

How long does your Progressive take to check out the shore power.
Mine takes up to 2.5 minutes to trip in due to the delay for the A/C.

I have never plugged into a bad shore power.. Have you?

BC

Our Progressive hard wired unit checks instantly. I the numbers for line voltage and hertz scroll on the romote display along with any error code. I have plugged into bad 20A circiuts at houses, due to bad grounding, but not had an istant trip in a campground, but have had a very "dirty" power in Uvalde TX. It was not even coming in at 60 HZ and voltage would float between 101 and 142 volts. I like the remote display to monitor our current current/amp useage (pun intended;)).

jmgratz

Ours begins the checks of the outlet right away. It does take about 90 - 120 seconds to start powering the RV. Yes I have plugged into bad pedestals prior to backing in.

wdk450

Electrical Box

Just a thought..

That's my thoughts...
BC

If you are worried about the protector burning up and starting an electrical fire, mount it in a metal electrical box with a metal door. That's why electrical devices (like circuit breakers) are required to be mounted that way according to code.

SilverRhino

Thanks for the Information

Before we get all worked up and succumb to scare stories, this subject came up before. So I e-mailed Progressive and got the attached reply. Mine is installed just behind the basement wall, so I can get to it if I really needed to.

John;

Thanks for sharing the response you received from Progressive.

I'm back to my original thinking......hard wire with the remote display.....the display being the part I like the best!

Travel Safe!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John;

Thanks for sharing the response you received from Progressive.

I'm back to my original thinking......hard wire with the remote display.....the display being the part I like the best!

Travel Safe!

No problem :D. Not sure about your rig, but in mine, I can see the remote display easily through the smoked glass of the switch cabinet.