We did it.... new 3010

dougw

Hi
I thought I would share that we purchased a new loaded (mostly) 2010 3010 cyclone at the California RV show this weekend. We think we got a better then average price on it and are looking forward to receiving it. However we purchased the show demo and we won't be able to get it for a few more weeks.

However that gives us time to research trailer hitch's and airbags. We are going to be using a f250 extended cab s/b. So if any of you read this and want to chime in on what to look for in a hitch and airbags please do so. Right now I'm looking at a reese 16k slider hitch. I figure it is better to have the slider and not use it then to need it and not have it.

Can't wait
Doug

Yianni

Welcome to the club. You'll really love the new 3010. The hardest part will be waiting for it.
I put the Air Lift bags on my truck and like them. They have an in cab remote control so adjusting for ride while towing is very easy.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, you must be excited. I don't have a Cyclone, but I do have air bags and love em. I have the Firestones. My hitch is a Curt Q5 20K and like it as well. It is a well built sturdy hitch. It is not a slider and I have not had the need for one. Have fun deciding on what you are going to go with, during this exciting time.

Peace
Dave

dougw

Cool all, Thanks for the welcomes. All I have to say now is I hope the trailer works out as great as it looks. All nice and new and shinny. It will be a long 2 weeks to go.

Thanks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When you buy your hitch make sure the hitch is rated to carry at least the GVWR of the rig. Example - 16000 pound rig, at least 18 K hitch (for a safety margin). Mine is a 20 K hitch as I like alot of safety margin.

escs36

congrats. you will absolutely love it. on-board controls for the air bags are a must have. go over board on the hitch. you will not have to worry about it. there are enough crazy people driving around to worry about. i put a 30K hitch on my f-550, worry free compared to the 18K hitch i had on my f-350. cyclone 3912.

TNT

Congratulations, we have a '09 3210 and love it! We have a F250 that came with an additional camper package and then we have a 20K hitch that makes for a nice ride. Better than we thought. Enjoy!

Last edited:

dougw

hum... the gvwr says 14k and so every one at the dealers / hitch shops have been quoting us a 16k reese slider hitch. sounds like most of you think it should be more.

dw

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Doug
All the above is great information. I am using a B&W Turn over Ball Gooseneck with the Companion 5th Wheel.

The Gooseneck is good for 30K# and the Companion 5th wheel is good for 18K. This should meet your needs. My Bighorn has a Max of 14.8K and is doing very well. If you need more than the 18k you will also need to look for a larger TV. With this hitch you have all three options to pull different trailers.

Something else about this hitch is that you can remove the 5th wheel and have a clean pickup bed. Something else I like is the jaws on the 5th wheel never become stuck and are not hard to open. I have watched many that have to pull hard on the handle of their hitch, bump the truck back and forth to get their hitch to release. Also you don't have to worry about high hitching with the B&W and don't need the bed saver.

Check out B&W before you make your final choice.
BTW I am not putting down any other hitch. I just like the B&W hitch. It is more expensive than most others but worth it for a clear bed if I want it.

This is what I do...
BC

plumberdude

congats doug
the wife and i have (not yet) 3914 toy hauler .we are getting ready to pick up ours after we put on our hitch. b&w companion 20k have fun see ya on the road.

dougw

Well, today we became proud parents of a 12k lb baby. <G>. after getting it home I'd say it also grew about another 20' in length. It looks really really big parked. All went pretty good during the PDI. I wasn't able to drain the fresh water fully since the drain is something like a 3/8" hose. It would have taken hours and hours to do. So who knows when it will run dry and what the gauges say. one of the confusing things is the black and grey tanks drain valves. if you look at the side of the trailer you see the larger black pipe on the right but the valve on the left empties it. Kind of wierd but I didn't design it nor is it marked very good.

In the end it is home and we're pretty pleased. hopefully it will last as long as it looks like it should.

doug "don't forget to lower the tv antenna" W

lwmcguir

Congratulations for sure. You will enjoy the space and they do tend to grow. We experienced that at well after parking it in the driveway. It definitely was larger there than on the dealers lot. Enjoy it and dont forget when making tight turns the rear will swing around more than you might think.

porthole

Retired
one of the confusing things is the black and grey tanks drain valves. if you look at the side of the trailer you see the larger black pipe on the right but the valve on the left empties it. Kind of wierd but I didn't design it nor is it marked very good.

I removed the decals from the outside and using clear 2" packing tape put then in the compartment right over th correct handles - no confusion.