Anode

mo11

Took out the anoderod to drain the water heater yesterday for mild winter storage. Las Vegas doesn't get that cold in the winter. My question is when should these anode rods be replaced. I noticed some corrsion but not sure what is too much corosion?

Thanks, Mo

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
mo11, there is a core of a steel rod maybe 1/4 inch diameter in the anode rod. The rest is sacrificial. If most of the outer area sacrificial area is still there it should still be good to go. However, they are not that expensive to change out just as a matter of routine maintenance. Depending on the water quality of where we camp and the condition of the rod, I will change mine every other year if it lasts that long. I carry a spare. Hope this helps.

Peace
Dave

mo11

Cookie,

Thanks for the info. Looking at mine I think it will last another season. I didn't realize the outer part was sacrificial. I'll probably buy a spare just in case.

Thanks, again, Mo

2010augusta

Before re-installing the anode make sure the threads are wrapped with Teflon tape. the corrosion can really make it hard to remove again later. And it is suggested to check the rod every month when using the trailer.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Here is what Suburban says and if you drain tank when not in use it will last longer. I got 3 years out of mine by keeping drained....Kenny

Question 4
Are all water heaters equipped with an Anode Rod? What is its function? When should it be changed?
Answer:
Only Suburban water heaters feature an anode rod. The anode equalizes aggressive water action, providing cathodic protection for the tank. It is a very important factor in tank life and should only be removed for inspection, draining or replacement. It is removeable using a 1-1/16" thin wall socket.

All Suburban water heaters are protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to prolong the life of the tank. Under normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate. Because of this, we recommend it be replaced annually or when consumption or weight loss of the rod is greater than 75%. Note: Water with high levels of iron and/or sulfate will increase the rate of deterioration. To extend anode life, drain water from tank whenever the RV is not being used. Avoid any extended time of non-use with water in the tank.
anode.jpg

Uncle Rog

Good Laugh..........

I change the anode in my unit every fall prior to the camping / bird hunting season. My neighbor has a SOB toyhauler and after I explained the process to him he decided to check his, mind you his rig is 3+ years old. I let him use my 1-1/16 socket as the rod was in there pretty tight. When we pulled it out it had +- 1/32 of an inch left on it, so it would have lasted at least another hour or two.........It was amazing how much sediment / crud came out of the tank when we rinsed it out..............

Uncle Rog

I got around to changing out the rod in my unit yesterday, it looked like brand new so now I have a spare, good more spare parts! Usually, after a year, they get pretty eaten up. I have never winterized or drained the system and always keep the unit full in storage, as before, it is our earthquake kit. The only reason I can think of is that I have used a cheapy filter to fill the tank or hook up to park water. The tank had the usual amount of sediment and I will break down and get the wand at CW to rinse it easier, it would make it about a 15 min job...........................

talley

My first year owning my BH I went to a local RV repair/parts shop to buy an anode for the hot water tank. Owner said did not carry any... just cut them off and rreinstalled the plug!!! Go figure... don't throw much business his way.

lwmcguir

Very soft water or water high in dissolved solids will require more sacraficial anode material. The purpose of which is to reduce Cathodic corrosion thereby lengthen the life of your heater tank. Replacement life will be dependent on the type of water you put in the heater and the second factor is the temperature setting. The higher the temperature the greater the corrosion potential due to the increased amount of oxygen being driven out of the water.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Changed mine yesterday after one year's use and it looked almost exactly like the one in Katkens picture.