can I use any 5th wheel hitch with my trail air pin box ?

kubo

Hello all, and thank you for reading my post, I currently have on order a landmark agusta, I am getting a trail air pin box as one of the options. My question is what kind of 5th wheel hitch is compatable with that pin box ? are they all universal ? I do not have any type of hitch installed on my truck yet. pure rookie at towing 5th wheel units :). I did purchase a 09 gmc 3500 dully to get the job done. (ouch in the wallet). any feedback is greatly appreciated and very welcomed. thank you all :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are a number of different styles available. The thing you need to remember about the size (load carrying capacity) of the hitch. Getting a Landmark you will be somewhere around 16000 lbs and will need at least a 18k hitch. Personally I would get a 20K hitch as the price is not that much difference. You will not need a slider hitch if you have a long bed truck and even with a short bed you won't because of the front cap design of the Landmark. We have a 20K Drawtight hitch (made by Reese) and have been using it for out last 2 5ers. Be sure to get a head which will swivel front to back and side to side. Some even have built in air bags but with the Trail Air pin box that would be over kill IMHO. I know other will chime in too. Hope this helps. BTW expect to pay 700-1000 dollars for the hitch depending on what you get. Also if you are getting a spray in bed liner get it done before you get the hitch put in. That was the bed is sprayed before the hitch rails are installed and the hitch holes are drilled.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
B&W Turnoverball with Companion 5th wheel....

I have a B&W Companion hitch. It has a 18k capacity. If you have this installed you will have a 30k gooseneck hitch in the bed and then can use the 18k Companion 5th wheel.

B&W Turn Over Ball

This gives you the capablility of pulling a TT, a gooseneck and a 5th wheel. It also gives you a clean truck bed if you need to haul stuff.

And we all have to haul Stuff...

FWIW
BC

ajf1950

5th wheel hitch

We have an 18K Pull Rite SuperGlide Hitch with a Trail Air Pin Box. It is on a 2009 Dodge 3500 short bed SRW. We pull a 2010 Big Country 3500RL. Love the set-up.

jimtoo

We have an 18K Pull Rite SuperGlide Hitch with a Trail Air Pin Box. It is on a 2009 Dodge 3500 short bed SRW. We pull a 2010 Big Country 3500RL. Love the set-up.

Hi Allison, Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here.

Thanks for your first post with good information. I am sure you will love your new Big Country.

Enjoy the forum and please visit often. Try to make some of the rallies and meet other Heartland owners.

Jim M

Delaine and Lindy

5th wheel hitch....

We have had two Trailair pin boxes on to other 5th wheels and had a B&W turnover ball with the companion 5th wheel hitch. The B&W is the best static 5th wheel hitch system we have owned, we had a Reese and a Valley/Huskey. For the money I like the B&W best. However we have owned two Trailer Saver Air ride hitches and we have the Trailer Saver now. When we ordered out 5th wheel in June we deleted the Trailair pin box and went with the Trailer Saver (TSLB2H 32,000 lb) capacity. We have the standard pin box and have no chucking or noise at all. The Trailer Saver does as the name implies. I believe the Trailer Saver takes a tremendous amount of stress off the frame, and I'm sure you are or have read about the frame issue. The TS air ride hitch is pricey but you can move it (TS 3) from truck to truck. It fits in the standard bed rails. I used my TS 3 in 4 different trucks 3500HD's and a Chevy Kodiak 4500. We have over 3,800 lbs of pin weight and the 5th wheel rides very well, we remove nothing from our counter top and secure no funiture at all. Just another idea for you to consider. The cost of your Truck and 5th wheel deserves the best Hitch. By the way you have a awesome Truck and the Duramax/Allison is a proven combo. GBY...