Air Bags or Not ?

highrail

Three more weeks till the 3400RL gets here can't wait. After reading a hunderd or more posts I beleive my rig will be just under the capacity of 20,000 lbs.
Anyway do most of you vets recomend air bags or not. Looks like they come in handy for leveling and bumps in the road. Most of our trips will be to FL. about two months in winter then to CA. a couple times in spring and again in the fall. Just wondering if I will bottom out much without them.
Twenty years ago I had loadleveler air shocks on a 3/4 ton ford. Anyone ever use these or are they just to lite.

Thanks for helping out the Newbe.
Tom in TN.

jpmorgan37

My pin weight is 3275. It keeps me level and really helps take some of the load off of the suspension. I run 5 psi when I'm not pulling and it rides better than stock. I run 35 to 40 when I am hitched and I am perfectly level. I won't have a truck without them again.

John

BluegrassMan

Air Ride

Yep! It's unanimous, Us that have the bags love them. I have Air/Lift bags with the onboard compressor and guages. It keeps the load off the springs and rides like a "Caddy".:)

randes

At the risk of sounding stupid, are we talking about bags for the TV, the 5W or both? Also are there any brands that stand out for quality or performance?

jpmorgan37

We are talking about air bags for the tow vehicle and Firestone has a good package which can be manually inflated or have an onboard compressor or have an automatic system that keeps the tow vehicle level. Here is one site that should give you answers to all your questions: http://www.truckspring.com/firestone_254.html?affid=4&OVRAW=firestone%20air%20bags&OVKEY=firestone%20air%20bag&OVMTC=standard. There are a number of RV dealers that sell and install them, also some of the Firestone stores. I bought mine on eBay and installed them myself in about and hour and a half.

John

Last edited:

phranc

bags

John,, Did you take out the helper springs or take out a leaf in the main spring ?? To put more weight on the air bags ..I've got about 2800 or 2900 # pin weight and the helpers don't quite touch. Lacks about 1/2 inch.Always looking for a way to improve ride though..

jpmorgan37

Hi phranc;
My pin weight is 3275 and the only thing that I removed was the rubber bumpers and that is where the Air Bags go. My GMC doesn't have helper springs and I didn't take out any spring leaves. I carry 80 psi in my rear tires and am carrying 35 psi in the air bags. I have had them as high as 50 psi but find the ride is much better at 35. I also have a MOR/ryde hitch on my GC. When I'm not hitched, I carry 5 psi in the air bags and 55 psi in the tires and it rides like a car.

John

jimtoo

Just to put my $.02 worth in. I have a GMC 1 ton dually TV. I installed
Firestone ride rites, I then removed the frame brackets for the factory overload springs. With my pin weight of 2900# the truck did not sit on the factory overloads anyway. It was about 1 to 1 1/2 inches away. It would just make a harsh jolt and noise when hitting a bump. Now I run about 30# in the bags when towing and get no harsh jolt or noise. Works good for me and rides great.

phranc

bags

Thanks Jimtoo and Jp.. Sounds as if the bags are the way to go.. Since my truck ,like Jims , doesn't sit on the helper spring brackets , I think I may remove them.. Ride is pretty fair as it is ,but there is always room for improvement..John ,I wish now that I had taken advantage of the Rally Special for the Mor Ryde pin box..Oh Well , next year pehaps....

jimtoo

Just as a note. I also have a Trailair Pinbox on the 5er. I would not tow without one after feeling the difference and the way things stay in place in the trailer.